Palm Pre 2
|Form factor||Slider smartphone|
|Dimensions||100.7 mm (3.96 in) (h)|
59.6 mm (2.35 in) (w)
16.9 mm (0.67 in) (d)
|Mass||145 g (5.1 oz)|
|CPU||Texas Instruments OMAP 3630 clocked at 1GHz (ARM Cortex-A8) + PowerVR SGX clocked at 430Mhz|
|Memory||512 MB 200MHz DDR DRAM|
|Storage||Flash memory 16 GB|
|Battery||3.7 V 1150 mAh|
"Palm BP1" Internal rechargeable removable lithium-ion battery
|Data inputs||Multi-touch touchscreen display, volume controls, proximity and ambient light sensors, 3-axis accelerometer|
|Display||320 × 480 px, 3.1 in (79 mm) HVGA, 24-bit color LCD|
|Rear camera||5.0 megapixel camera with LED flash, "extended depth of field", and geotagging|
The Palm Pre 2 //, styled as palm prē 2, is a slider smartphone designed and marketed by Palm, Inc., and Hewlett-Packard with a multi-touch screen and a physical sliding keyboard. The smartphone is the third to use Palm's Linux-based mobile operating system, webOS (releasing with version 2.0). The Pre 2 functions as a camera phone, a portable media player, and has location and navigation capabilities. The Pre also serves as a personal information manager, has a number of communication and collaboration applications, and has Bluetooth and Wi-Fi connectivity built-in.
The Palm Pre 2 was announced on October 19, 2010, with an initial launch date of October 22, 2010, on French carrier SFR. It was also announced that the Pre 2 would be coming to United States carrier Verizon Wireless, Rogers Wireless in Canada, and also as an unlocked UMTS developer phone.
Additions include a flat Gorilla Glass screen (instead of the curved plastic of its predecessors) surrounded with plastic trim, a faster processor, an upgraded camera. The plastic door which covered the microUSB port on previous iterations, considered flimsy by some, was removed. Otherwise, the Pre 2 has the same size and design as its predecessors.
On November 18, 2010, the Pre 2 became available in the U.S. as an unlocked developer device.
The Pre 2 is the first phone to use version 2.0 of HP Palm's webOS. The last version to be available for the Pre 2 was version 2.2.4, subject to carrier approval on certain models however.
- "Palm Pre 2".
- "Palm Pre 2 - Tech Specs".
- "HP Introduces webOS 2.0, the Next Generation of Mobile Innovation".
- "webOS 2.0-running Roadrunner device pops up in app logs [Rumor]". precentral.net. 2010-08-11.
- "Here's 2 screenshots". zhephree on twitter. 2010-08-11.
- "SFR outs the Palm Pre 2". precentral.net. 2010-10-12.
- "Palm Pre 2, webOS 2.0 Launches in France". precentral.net. 2010-10-22.
- "Unlocked Pre 2 now available in U.S." blog.palm.com. 2010-11-18.
- "HPs Canada: Palm Pre 2 on Rogers 'Now Available'". precentral.net. 2010-12-20.
- "Pre 2 available in Verizon Wireless stores on Thursday". blog.palm.com. 2011-02-15.