Palm nut soup
Mbanga soup is a palm fruit soup in Cameroonian cuisine and West African cuisine. It is often served with kwacoco. The soup is Cameroon's version of the West African Banga (soup), a palm fruit soup eaten in areas including parts of Nigeria. In Cameroon mbanga is made using fresh palm nuts. Outside the area canned nuts can be used.
Banga is a type of palm fruit soup from Southern the Niger Delta Nigeria particularly the Itsekiri ethnic group. This cuisine is quite different from "Ofe Akwu" which is a variant found in Igbo culture. The Binis have a soup from palm fruits similar to "Ofe Akwu" in ingredients and manner of preparation.
Banga soup is flavored with beletete, aidan fruit, rohojie, Banga spice leaves called Obenetietien (scent or bitter leaves can be substituted), a stick of oburunbebe, finely chopped onion, ground crayfish, chili pepper or scotch bonnet, and salt. The soup sometimes eaten with a cocoyam (taro) pudding called kwacoco. Banga Soup is mostly prepared using fresh catfish (fresh fish Banga soup) dried/smoked fish or meat.
The soup can also make a delicious dish with the addition of Okra vegetable.
Amiedi, also known as banga soup, is a soup eaten by the Urhobo people of Southern Nigeria. It is made by extracting the liquid of palm kernels. Thereafter, other ingredients like crayfish, meat, fish, pepper and cow tripe are added. It is eaten with eba or usi (starch). (Elaeis guineensis) extract.
- Saffery, D. (2007). The Ghana Cookery Book. Jeppestown Press. p. 50. ISBN 978-0-9553936-6-2.
- Yussif, E. (2013). The Facet of Black Culture. Trafford Publishing. p. 53. ISBN 978-1-4669-8847-7.
- Osseo-Asare, Fran (November 24, 2005). Food Culture in Sub-Saharan Africa. Greenwood Publishing Group. ISBN 9780313324888 – via Google Books.
- Crush, Jonathan; Battersby, Jane (September 23, 2016). Rapid Urbanisation, Urban Food Deserts and Food Security in Africa. Springer. ISBN 9783319435671 – via Google Books.
- "Mbanga/Palmnut Soup". February 13, 2013.
- "Mbanga (Palm Nut) Soup". Jul 21, 2018. Retrieved Jul 11, 2021.
- "Banga Soup Recipes | Food Network Canada". foodnetwork.ca. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- "Banga Soup (Ofe Akwu)". All Nigerian Recipes. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- "Ofe Akwu - Igbo Style Banga Soup". Sisi Jemimah. 2015-09-22. Retrieved 2020-06-04.
- Afriyie, B.S. (2012). Concise Ict Fundamentals Volume Two. AuthorHouse. p. 340. ISBN 978-1-4669-6785-4.
- How to make Banga Soup : Efik Banga Soup by Nky Lily Lete April 2013 Nigerian Food TV
- Saffery, David (2007). The Ghana Cookery Book. Jeppestown Press. pp. 50, 51. ISBN 9780955393662.
- Nutritional compositions and antioxidant properties of typical Urhobo Nigerian soups by Nyerhovwo J Tonukari, Oghenetega J Avwioroko, Guanah Seitonkumoh, Chinoye C Enuma, Samson O Sakpa, Linda Eraga, Theresa Ezedom, Ufuoma Edema, Enovwo Odiyoma, Akpovwehwee A Anigboro Vol 8, No 2 2013 Nigerian Journal of Technological Research