Palmerston North Central
Palmerston North Central
Central business district
|Territorial authority||Palmerston North|
|• Total||1.84 km2 (0.71 sq mi)|
|• Density||610/km2 (1,600/sq mi)|
State Highway 3 passes through the area along Rangitikei Street, Main Street East, Grey Street and Princess Street.
The CBD is centred around 17 hectares of land, known as the Square. There are notable buildings and streets which surround this land, such as the old Post Office building (now a restaurant and nightspot) and the Square Building on the corner of Main Street East and the Square (which served as the old library to the city).
Surrounding The Square are several shops and restaurants, shopping centres, the Palmerston North Library, the Regent on Broadway, Arena Manawatu and the Rugby Museum, Te Manawa (formerly Manawatu Science Museum and Art Gallery), and the Centrepoint Theatre.
High-rise buildings in the city include the Spark telecommunications building on Main Street East, FMG House (Palmerston North's tallest building) and the former State Insurance building. Palmerston North City Council has its buildings on the corner of the Square and Main Street West, including by the large Civic Building. Palmerston North Police have moved from their old building on Church Street to a new complex across the road.
The All Saints Anglican Church dominates the south-west sector of the Square, characterised by its red brick construction. The Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Spirit on Broadway Avenue is located east of the square.
Palmerston North Central, which covers 1.84 km2 (0.71 sq mi), had a population of 1,116 at the 2018 New Zealand census, a decrease of 102 people (-8.4%) since the 2013 census, and a decrease of 198 people (-15.1%) since the 2006 census. There were 405 households. There were 579 males and 537 females, giving a sex ratio of 1.08 males per female. The median age was 27.7 years (compared with 37.4 years nationally), with 123 people (11.0%) aged under 15 years, 492 (44.1%) aged 15 to 29, 426 (38.2%) aged 30 to 64, and 75 (6.7%) aged 65 or older.
Ethnicities were 64.0% European/Pākehā, 19.4% Māori, 8.1% Pacific peoples, 19.1% Asian, and 3.2% other ethnicities (totals add to more than 100% since people could identify with multiple ethnicities).
The proportion of people born overseas was 28.0%, compared with 27.1% nationally.
Although some people objected to giving their religion, 46.5% had no religion, 33.6% were Christian, 3.2% were Hindu, 3.2% were Muslim, 1.9% were Buddhist and 5.9% had other religions.
Of those at least 15 years old, 168 (16.9%) people had a bachelor or higher degree, and 114 (11.5%) people had no formal qualifications. The median income was $18,900, compared with $31,800 nationally. The employment status of those at least 15 was that 408 (41.1%) people were employed full-time, 159 (16.0%) were part-time, and 120 (12.1%) were unemployed.
The main Palmerston North campus of Universal College of Learning is located on the corner of King and Princess Streets. It has a red brick facade and atrium. The brick building was formerly Palmerston North Technical High School (now Queen Elizabeth College, Rangitikei Street) and Palmerston North Teachers' College.
- "ArcGIS Web Application". statsnz.maps.arcgis.com. Retrieved 25 April 2021.
- "Statistical area 1 dataset for 2018 Census". Statistics New Zealand. March 2020. Palmerston North Central (230600). 2018 Census place summary: Palmerston North Central
- "The Plaza". kiwiproperty.com. Kiwi Property Group.
- "The Plaza Stores". kiwiproperty.com. Kiwi Property Group.
- Mitchell, Paul (18 September 2020). "Timezone returns to Palmerston North with new gaming arcade". New Zealand Media and Entertainment. Manawatu Standard.
- "Downtown Palmerston North - Stores". downtown.net.nz. Downtown Palmerston North.
- "Palmerston North Intermediate Official School Website". pnins.school.nz.
- "Palmerston North Intermediate Ministry of Education School Profile". educationcounts.govt.nz. Ministry of Education.
- "Palmerston North Intermediate Education Review Office Report". ero.govt.nz. Education Review Office.
- "Carncot Independent School Official School Website". carncot.school.nz.
- "Carncot Independent School Ministry of Education School Profile". educationcounts.govt.nz. Ministry of Education.
- "Carncot Independent School Education Review Office Report". ero.govt.nz. Education Review Office.
- "Mana Tamariki Ministry of Education School Profile". educationcounts.govt.nz. Ministry of Education.
- "Mana Tamariki Education Review Office Report". ero.govt.nz. Education Review Office.
- "Palmerston North Adventist Christian School Ministry of Education School Profile". educationcounts.govt.nz. Ministry of Education.
- "Palmerston North Adventist Christian School Education Review Office Report". ero.govt.nz. Education Review Office.