Palomar Testbed Interferometer
|Location(s)||San Diego County, California|
|Organization||California Institute of Technology|
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
|First light||July 1995|
|Telescope style||astronomical interferometer|
|Number of telescopes||3|
|Diameter||0.4 m (1 ft 4 in)|
The Palomar Testbed Interferometer (PTI) was a near infrared, long-baseline stellar interferometer located at Palomar Observatory in north San Diego County, California, United States. It was built by Caltech and the Jet Propulsion Laboratory and was intended to serve as a testbed for developing interferometric techniques to be used at the Keck Interferometer. It began operations in 1995 and achieved routine operations in 1998, producing more than 50 refereed papers in a variety of scientific journals covering topics from high precision astrometry to stellar masses, stellar diameters and shapes. PTI concluded operations in 2008 and has since been dismantled.
PTI was notable for being equipped with a "dual-star" system, making it possible to simultaneously observe pairs of stars; this cancels some of the atmospheric effects of astronomical seeing and makes very high precision measurements possible.
- M. Shao, et al. (PTI Collaboration) (1999). "Differential Astrometry of the 61 Cygni System with the Palomar Testbed Interferometer". Bulletin of the American Astronomical Society. 31: 1504. Bibcode:1999AAS...195.8714S.
- Boden, Andrew F.; Torres, Guillermo; Hummel, Christian A. (1 July 2005). "Testing Stellar Models with an Improved Physical Orbit for 12 Bootis". The Astrophysical Journal. 627 (1): 464–476. arXiv:astro-ph/0502250. Bibcode:2005ApJ...627..464B. doi:10.1086/430058.
- van Belle, G. T.; Creech-Eakman, M. J.; Hart, A. (21 April 2009). "Supergiant temperatures and linear radii from near-infrared interferometry". Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. 394 (4): 1925–1935. arXiv:0811.4239. Bibcode:2009MNRAS.394.1925V. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2966.2008.14146.x.
- "Caltech Astronomy - The Palomar Testbed Interferometer (PTI)". Caltech Astronomy. Retrieved 2014-12-09.
- van Belle, Gerard T.; Ciardi, David R.; Thompson, Robert R.; Akeson, Rachel L.; Lada, Elizabeth A. (1 October 2001). "Altair's Oblateness and Rotation Velocity from Long‐Baseline Interferometry". The Astrophysical Journal. 559 (2): 1155–1164. Bibcode:2001ApJ...559.1155V. doi:10.1086/322340.