Palos Verdes Golf Club
This article possibly contains inappropriate or misinterpreted citations that do not verify the text. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
11th hole at Palos Verdes Golf Club
|Location||3301 Via Campesina
Palos Verdes Estates, California
|Tournaments hosted||Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge|
|Designed by||Olmsted Brothers, William P. Bell, George C. Thomas|
Palos Verdes Golf Club is a private golf and social club located in Palos Verdes Estates, CA.
The golf course design began in 1923, and the course was opened in 1924. The club, an amenity for area residents in the newly developed Palos Verdes Project, was designed by Olmsted Brothers together with the architects George C. Thomas and William P. Bell. Many varieties of trees were planted during original construction, which are now very mature and line and narrow the fairways. The land on which the course is situated is owned by the City of Palos Verdes Estates, and the club is operated under a concession agreement with the City.
The greens are a mixture of poa annua and bent grass, and the fairways are kikuyu grass. The course has much change in elevation, and can be difficult for some players to walk. Guests may play the course with a member, or may pay a public rate of $275 with highly restricted non-member tee times available. For the dress code, denim is not allowed; a tucked-in collared shirt, belt, and slacks or Bermuda shorts are required, as are soft spikes. The course sits on 214 acres of land, within an 800 acre parkland preserve, encompassing several connecting canyons and unmanicured forestland.
Membership is generally restricted to residential property owners in the city of Palos Verdes Estates, CA. Membership is open to residents of neighboring cities only by sponsorship from an existing member, and when no residents are on the waiting list. Nonresidents of Palos Verdes Estates additionally pay a higher entrance fee. Over the last few years, the waiting list for membership has shortened, allowing residents to join quickly and nonresidents to join within one year.
The course is a par 71, at a length of 6,528 from the black tees, 6,219 from the blue tees, 5,718 yards from the white tees, and 5,459 yards from the red tees. The men's slope ratings are 72.3/134, 70.8/129 and 68.5/124 for the black, blue, and white tees, respectively.
While not considered lengthy at just over 6,500 yards, the architects' use of the natural terrain, barrancas, creeks, and hills, combined with small greens, extensive bunkering, narrow fairways with strategically designed landing areas, and prevailing westerly ocean breezes, the course presents a challenge for players of all levels. Members have taken great care in preserving the original design and routing of this masterpiece. As of July 2013, the course underwent a fresh $1.5M renovation, restoring some of the lost hole design features and removing hundreds of trees to open up ocean views, and adding modern chipping areas around most greens.
A number of the holes (1, 2, 3, 6, 12, 13, 14) play longer than advertised, as they play into the prevailing west wind from the Pacific Ocean which is less than one mile from the course. Fourteen of the course's eighteen holes feature panoramic views of the Pacific Ocean (a Thomas trademark).
The front nine is a "perfect nine" - where no two holes in a row are of the same par.
|Men's Black||72.3 / 134||401||210||424||226||527||365||564||147||386||3250||364||362||302||418||446||185||470||330||401||3278||6528|
|Men's Blue||70.8 / 129||363||200||389||210||502||330||531||147||369||3041||364||362||263||418||416||172||452||330||401||3179||6219|
|Women's Blue||77.6 / 141||363||200||389||210||502||330||531||147||369||3041||364||362||263||418||416||172||452||330||401||3179||6219|
|Men's White||68.5 / 124||355||179||374||193||474||317||494||137||343||2866||342||355||130||404||334||145||440||322||380||2852||5718|
|Women's White||74.8 / 135||355||179||374||193||474||317||494||137||343||2866||342||355||130||404||334||145||440||322||380||2852||5718|
|Women's Red||73.4 / 132||334||173||350||182||430||309||460||127||328||2693||324||347||125||387||329||135||424||311||373||2766||5459|
|Women's Gold||69.4 / 124||302||161||298||159||372||255||449||110||260||2366||329||289||125||337||261||96||384||207||343||2330||4696|
- Gnerre, Sam (Dec 9, 2009). "Palos Verdes Golf Club - History". Inside SoCal. Archived from the original on Oct 23, 2012. Retrieved Nov 30, 2017.
- Castonguay, Ken (2015). "History". Palos Verdes Golf Club. Archived from the original on Oct 21, 2017. Retrieved Dec 1, 2017.
- "Welcome - Palos Verdes Golf Club". Pvgc.com. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- No. 24 Buckeyes Open Spring Slate at Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge - The Ohio State Buckeyes Official Athletics Site - OhioStateBuckeyes.com
- "Palos Verdes Golf Club - Palos Verdes Estates, CA". Yelp.com. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Palos Verdes Golf Club in Palos Verdes Estates, CA | California Courses". Golf.com. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- Paik, Anne. "UCLA women's golf to open its spring season in the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge at Palos Verdes". The Daily Bruin. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Palos Verdes Real Estate | Community History". PV Brokers. 1939-12-20. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Palos Verdes Golf Club in Palos Verdes Estates, California". Golfcourseranking.com. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- "Palos Verdes Estates : Palos Verdes Golf Club". Pvestates.org. Retrieved 2013-04-11.
- Cusick, Tim. "Palos Verdes Golf Club | Palos Verdes Golf Course". Golflink.com. Retrieved 2013-04-11.