Location of Paltamo in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Arto Laurikainen|
|• Total||1,139.12 km2 (439.82 sq mi)|
|• Land||918.86 km2 (354.77 sq mi)|
|• Water||220.23 km2 (85.03 sq mi)|
|Area rank||85th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||214th largest in Finland|
|• Density||3.63/km2 (9.4/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||99.1% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||15%|
|• 15 to 64||63.3%|
|• 65 or older||21.7%|
|Time zone||UTC+02:00 (EET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+03:00 (EEST)|
|Municipal tax rate||20.5%|
It is part of the Kainuu region. The municipality has a population of 3,336 (31 January 2019) and covers an area of 1,139.12 square kilometres (439.82 sq mi) of which 220.23 km2 (85.03 sq mi) is water. The population density is 3.63 inhabitants per square kilometre (9.4/sq mi). There are two built-up areas in the municipality: Kontiomäki and Paltamo. Kontiomäki has about 600 inhabitants.
The municipality is unilingually Finnish.
Paltamo was first inhabited 8,500 years ago. The most sophisticated finding yet has been a weapon shaped like a bear's head. In 1552 king Gustav Vasa gave an order in which the areas of the Lake Oulu were to be inhabited. 140 families left there. In 1555 it was counted that there were 133 families living in Paltamo. The picture church of Paltamo was built in 1726 by Johan Simonpoika Knubb. It was the fourth church on the site. One of the most important persons in the Finnish history of literature – Eino Leino – was born in Hövelö in 1878. Today Paltamo is one of the slowly declining municipalities of Finland.
- "Area of Finnish Municipalities 1.1.2018" (PDF). National Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 30 January 2018.
- "Suomen virallinen tilasto (SVT): Väestön ennakkotilasto [verkkojulkaisu]. Tammikuu 2019" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 15 March 2019.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Paltamo at Wikimedia Commons
|This Oulu Province location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|