|37th Attorney General of Florida|
January 4, 2011
|Preceded by||Bill McCollum|
|Born||Pamela Jo Bondi
November 17, 1965
Tampa, Florida, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Garret Barnes (1990–1992)
Scott Fitzgerald (1997–2002)
|Alma mater||University of Florida
Early life and education
Bondi's hometown is Temple Terrace, Florida. Her father Joseph Bondi was a city councillor and then Mayor of Temple Terrace. She is a graduate of C. Leon King High School in Tampa, Florida. Bondi graduated from the University of Florida in 1987 with a degree in Criminal Justice. She then graduated from Stetson Law School with a JD in 1990 and was admitted to The Florida Bar on June 24, 1991.
Bondi married Garret Barnes in 1990, and they divorced after 22 months. In 1996, Bondi married Scott Fitzgerald. That marriage ended in divorce after 6 years.
She is a former prosecutor and spokeswoman in Hillsborough County, Florida where she worked as an Assistant State Attorney. Bondi resigned this position to seek the office of Attorney General of Florida. She has made guest appearances on Scarborough Country with Joe Scarborough and various other cable news programming on MSNBC and worked for Fox News as a legal analyst.
Bondi prosecuted former Major League Baseball player Dwight Gooden in 2006 for violating the terms of his probation and for substance abuse. Bondi also prosecuted the Martin Anderson death defendants in 2007.
Bondi was the lead attorney general in an unsuccessful lawsuit seeking to overturn the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) in Florida et al v. United States Department of Health and Human Services. In the lawsuit the State of Florida and 26 other states argued that the individual mandate provision of the PPACA violates the United States Constitution.
Bondi was re-elected in November 2014, receiving 55% of the vote. Her challenger, George Sheldon, received 42%.
- "Pamela Jo Bondi" AVVO Professional ratings
- "Lawyer info-Pam Bondi" Florida Bar, Find a Lawyer
- Mitchell, tia (2012-05-30). "Attorney General Pam Bondi's Cayman trip wasn't a wedding; many wonder why". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved 2014-12-16.
- Kam, Dara. "Early on, Florida attorney general Pam Bondi shows ambition". Palm Beach Post. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Dwight Gooden chooses prison over rehab". Red Orbit. April 5, 2006. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Attorney General Pam Bondi juggles home life, sudden celebrity". Orlando Sentinel. August 8, 2011. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- "Martin Lee Anderson Death Case Goes to Trial Wednesday". WJHG. October 4, 2007. Retrieved September 21, 2013.
- Staff (November 5, 2014). "2014 Florida election results: Rick Scott wins, medical marijuana falls short". Orlando Business Journal. Retrieved 7 November 2014.
|Attorney General of Florida