Pambiche Cocina and Repostería Cubana
|Pambiche Cocina and Repostería Cubana|
Mural depicting Cuban culture on the restaurant's exterior in 2015
|Street address||2811 Northeast Glisan St.|
The restaurant is owned by chef and musician John Maribona, a first-generation Cuban American, and serves traditional Cuban cuisine using recipes from Maribona's family. It features outside seating and offers happy hour during select hours. The menu includes empanadas, pork roast, prawns, tostones, and several vegetarian options. Select plates include roasted corn and chicken, smoked ham in béchamel sauce, a Cuban creole fish sandwich with red snapper, and Valencia saffron rice and chicken. Its brunch menu includes plates with beans, eggs, rice and a choice of protein.
Pambiche installed ornate bicycle racks with a "decidedly Caribbean feel" in 2011. In 2015, Maribona expressed approval of President Barack Obama's announcement to normalize relations with Cuba after more than fifty years. He shared his hope that Pambiche would be able to have Cuban-made products such as chocolate.
Pambiche has received a generally positive reception. It was awarded "Chef's Choice" for the best Latin American restaurant by The Portland Mercury and named "Restaurant of the Year" by Willamette Week. The Portland Mercury also said Pambiche was "good, fun, and justifiably popular" and recommended the desserts. Lonely Planet described the restaurant as "Portland's best Cuban food, with a trendy and riotously colorful atmosphere", while The New York Times noted, "Locals know that you can drive by Pambiche any night of the week and find it packed". Thrillist included it in their list of "The 12 Best Portland Brunch Spots... Without Lines" in 2014. Travel Portland called Pambiche "can't-miss Cuban cuisine" that emphasizes healthy, natural foods and "feels like it's straight out of grandma's kitchen".
- Kerr, Michael. "Modestly Priced Restaurants in Portland, Oregon". USA Today. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- "Pambiche". Zagat. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Woodard, Chris. "Portland's Pambiche hails US-Cuba announcement: President Obama announced US to normalize relations with Cuba". KOIN. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- "Pambiche". Travel Portland. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Tyson, Drew (October 1, 2014). "The 12 Best Portland Brunch Spots... Without Lines". Thrillist. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- "Pambiche". The Portland Mercury. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- Rose, Joseph (March 8, 2011). "Pambiche's cool bike corrals, Blumenauer's commute video, Zoobomber hangout closes: Tuesday bike roundup". The Oregonian. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
- "Pambiche". Lonely Planet. Retrieved March 12, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pambiche Cocina and Repostería Cubana.|