Pamela Tom in 2014
|Other names||Pam Tom|
|Occupation||Film director, producer, screenwriter|
Tom was born in Los Angeles, California.
In 1981, Tom earned a bachelor of art degree in Development Studies from Brown University. From 1980 to 1981, Tom was a visiting student at University of Ile-Ife in Ile-Ife, Nigeria.
Tom started her career in feature productions and television documentaries as a Walt Disney/ ABC Entertainment Writing Fellow. After she left Disney she became the Director of Diversity and directed the diversity talent program, Project: Involve at Film Independent. Tom is currently working at Brushstrokes Film with a feature-length documentary on Tyrus Wong, Tyrus (2015) - which won Audience Awards at the 2016 Boston Asian American Film Festival, the 2015 Hawaii International Film Festival and the 2015 San Diego Asian Film Festival.
New Moon Pictures
- Director/Producer, August 2015 – present. Tom made a documentary feature film about the pioneering Chinese American painter and Hollywood sketch artist, Tyrus Wong.
- Post Production Producer, January 2009 – March 2009. Tom directed the narration and supervised the sound editing and mix on the BBC/KCET three-part series "World War II Behind Closed Doors: Stalin, the Nazis and the West."
Wild About Harry (aka American Primitive)
- Executive Producer, 2008 – 2009. Tom executive produced Gwen Wynne's debut feature film about two teenage girls trying to fit into their new high school when they discover their dad is gay. Starring Danielle Savre, Adam Pascal, Tate Donovan, Josh Peck, Anne Ramsey, James Sikking, Susan Anspach.
- Producer, August 2007 – December 2007. Freelance producer and Development Executive. Served as station producer on the national prime-time series WIRED Science. Helped develop several local, national, and international projects.
- Director of Diversity August 1998 – July 2007. Oversaw Project: Involve, the diversity film mentoring, educational, screening, and job placement program. Oversaw organization's diversity initiatives and goals and served as a spokesperson.
Los Angeles Film Festival & Independent Spirit Awards
- Director of Diversity, 1998 – 2007
- Tyrus (2015)
- (producer) (writer) (director)
- American Primitive (2009)
- (executive producer)
- The Story of Mothers & Daughters (1997)
- (associate producer)
- World War Two: Behind Closed Doors (2008)
- (post-production producer - 1 episode)
- - Unlikely Friends
- WIRED Science (2007)
- (producer: 1 episode)
- - Face Reader
- Becoming the Buddha in L.A. (1993)
- (field producer)
- Two Lies (1990)
- (writer) (producer) (director)
- "Pam Tom". wmm.com. Retrieved May 15, 2019.
Zahed, Ramin (November 18, 2012). "Tyrus Wong Documentary Launches on Kickstarter". Animation Magazine. Jean Thoren. Retrieved April 29, 2013.
McArthur, Meher (January 8, 2013). "Chinese Brushstrokes in Hollywood: The Works of Tyrus Wong". KCET. Retrieved April 29, 2013.