|Location||Rodriguez, Rizal, Philippines|
|Geology||Sierra Madre, Wawa Dam|
|Access||Tours are available|
In the foothills of the Sierra Madre mountain range lies the Pamitinan cave. It is located in the San Rafael barangay (near Rodriguez, Rizal) in the Philippines. It is also near the Wawa Dam. The cave was formerly known as the '"Cave of Bernardo Carpio"'. Its former name was derived from Bernardo Carpio, a figure in Philippine mythology who was rebuked by the gods because of his insolence. Legend states that he was chained forever in the Montalban gorge, cursed to keep two mountains from colliding with each other.
On April 12, 1895, Andres Bonifacio along with eight other katipuneros declared the Philippines independence from the Spanish empire inside of this cave. The walls still bear inscriptions of "Viva la Independencia Filipina" from the time of the Philippine Revolution. On June 21, 1996, Pamitinan cave was declared a historic site by the National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
- Historic site
- List of Philippine historic sites
- List of Cultural Properties of the Philippines in CALABARZON
- Culture of the Philippines
- List of national parks of the Philippines
- List of World Heritage Sites in the Philippines
- Gloria Martinez Santos (1998). Proceedings of the series of Seminar-Workshop and Exhibit on Oral and Local History: theme: the centennial goes to the barrios. National Historical Institute. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Philippine Revolution: The Making of a Nation : Papers from the Regional Conferences Held in Cebu City, Davao City, Baguio City, and Dapitan City. National Centennial Commission. 1999. p. 474. ISBN 978-971-92018-7-8. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- Samuel K. Tan (2010). The Muslim South and Beyond. UP Press. p. 185. ISBN 978-971-542-632-9. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Pamitinan Cave". Department of Tourism.
- "Declaring Pamitinan Cave as a Historic Site" (PDF). National Historical Commission of the Philippines.
|This article about a location in Calabarzon region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|