Panama City Panama Temple
|Panama City Panama Temple|
|Dedication||10 August 2008
Thomas S. Monson
|Site||6.96 acres (2.8 hectares)|
|Floor area||18,943 sq ft (1,760 m2)|
|Height||111 ft (34 m)|
|Preceded by||Curitiba Brazil Temple|
|Followed by||Twin Falls Idaho Temple|
|Official website • News & images|
The Panama City Panama Temple is the 127th operating temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church). It was announced in 2002 and was dedicated on August 10, 2008 by church president Thomas S. Monson. Located in Cárdenas, a suburb of Panama City, it is the first church temple in Panama.
The plans to build a temple in Panama City were announced by the LDS Church on August 23, 2002. Ground was broken and the site was dedicated on October 30, 2005, by Spencer V. Jones, a member of the church's Second Quorum of the Seventy and the president of the church's Central America Area. On May 4, 2007, a statue of the angel Moroni was added to the temple's spire.
The temple is adjacent to the LDS Church's Cárdenas Ward meetinghouse, close to the Panama Canal. The Panama City Panama Temple serves Latter-day Saints in all of Panama. There are 39,000 Latter-day Saints in Panama in seven stakes and eight mission districts.
The open house for the temple began on the July 11 and ended on July 26, 2008. During the open house, the temple was open to everyone; however, since it has been dedicated only members of the church in good standing can enter. The temple's dedication was held on August 10, 2008 in four sessions. Prior to the dedication, a cultural celebration was held including performances by Panamanian youth members of the church.
- Comparison of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- List of temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints by geographic region
- Temple architecture (Latter-day Saints)
- Swensen, Jason (August 11, 2008). "LDS Church's 127th temple is dedicated in Panama". Deseret News. Retrieved 2012-10-16.
- Satterfield, Rick, "Panama City Panama Temple", LDSChurchTemples.com, retrieved 2012-10-16
- "Two new temples announced", Church News, September 14, 2002: 13, retrieved 2012-10-16
- Ensign, December 2002 http://www.lds.org/ensign/2002/12/news-of-the-church/new-temples-announced, retrieved 2012-10-16 Missing or empty
- "Ground Broken for Construction of Panama City Panama Temple", Liahona, March 2006.
- Ensign, June 2008 http://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/06/news-of-the-church/dedication-announced-for-panama-city-temple, retrieved 2012-10-16 Missing or empty
- Ensign, October 2008 http://www.lds.org/ensign/2008/10/news-of-the-church/president-monson-dedicates-panama-city-temple, retrieved 2012-10-16 Missing or empty
- Inician las Puertas Abiertas del Templo de Panamá, La Iglesia de JESUCRISTO de los Santos de los Últimos Días. Last Accessed 2008-07-12.[dead link]
- Panama City Panama Temple (official)