Exterior view of the theatre in 2009
|Address||651 Yonge Street
The CAA Theatre, formerly the Panasonic Theatre, is a live theatre owned and operated by Mirvish Productions in Toronto, Canada. On December 1, 2017, Mirvish Productions announced a marketing partnership with CAA South Central Ontario, which included renaming the venue that was known as the Panasonic Theatre.
The original building was built in 1911 as a private residence, then converted to a movie theatre in 1919 and known as The Victory. It was renamed The Embassy in 1934 and a host of other names over the next 60 years:
- The Astor
- The Showcase
- The Festival
In 1993, the building was renovated for live theatre productions and renamed The New Yorker Theatre.
In 2004 and 2005, most of the building was demolished, with only the facade preserved. The old building was replaced by a new state-of-the-art live theatre and concert venue, and it was known as The Panasonic Theatre. In 2005, the building was acquired by Live Nation and in 2008 by Mirvish Productions.
A list of theatrical productions at the Panasonic:
- Forever Plaid
- Blue Man Group
- We Will Rock You (musical)
- The Most RACES Show on Earth! (live stand-up comedy)
With the complete rebuilding of the Panasonic, Toronto is left with a handful of early 20th-century theatres (both movie and live):
- Bloor Cinema, 1905
- Ed Mirvish Theatre, 1920
- Elgin and Winter Garden Theatres, 1913
- Revue Cinema, 1911–1912
- Royal Alexandra Theatre, 1907
A list of lost or rebuilt theatres:
- Standard Theatre (Toronto), opened in 1921 and operated as a theatre until the 1990s; now a retail store
- University Theatre (Toronto), built in 1949 and like the Panasonic only the facade was preserved; it is now a retail store
- Uptown Theatre (Toronto), built in 1920 and demolished in 2003
- "New partnership between CAA and Mirvish Productions". www.newswire.ca. Retrieved 2017-12-27.
- Doug Taylor (2016). Toronto's Local Movie Theatres of Yesteryear: Brought Back to Thrill You Again. Dundurn Press. pp. 36–37. ISBN 9781459733428.
- The CAA Theatre