University of Pittsburgh
Brookhaven National Laboratory
Mount Sinai School of Medicine
|Alma mater||University of Athens (PhD)|
|Known for||first synthesis of insulin|
Panayotis G. Katsoyannis is a noted biochemist who is often credited with being the first to synthesize insulin while leading a team at the University of Pittsburgh in the early 1960s. His results synthesizing insulin were achieved almost simultaneously with that of Helmut Zahn at RWTH Aachen University in Germany. Katsoyannis was also noted for his studies on the synthesis of oxytocin and vasopressin. Following his time at the University of Pittsburgh, Katsoyannis served as the Head of the Division of Biochemistry at the Brookhaven National Laboratory and later was appointed as the founding Chairman of the Department of Biochemistry at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in 1967 where he remains. Katsoyannis continues at Mount Sinai as a Distinguished Service Professor and Chair Emeritus in Pharmacologic and Systems Therapeutics.
Katoyannis received the Commemorative Medallion of the American Diabetes Association in 1972 on the fiftieth anniversary of the discovery of insulin. He also received the Jacobi Medallion from Mount Sinai Alumni in 1995 and an honorary degree from the University of Patras in Greece in 1997. He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (1966), the New York Academy of Sciences (1977), and a Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Greece (Academy of Athens) (1966).
- Goro, Fritz (1964-05-08). "First Man-made Protein in History". Life (New York, NY: Time, Inc.) 56 (19): 47–9. doi:10.1080/15216540310001659029. PMID 14992380. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Federwisch, Matthias; Dieken, Markus Leyck; De Meyts, Pierre, eds. (2002). Insulin & Related Proteins – Structure to Function and Pharmacology. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers. pp. ix. ISBN 1-4020-0655-1. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Niss, Barbara J.; Aufses, Arthur H. (2005). Teaching Tomorrow's Medicine Today: the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1963–2003. New York University Press. p. 43. ISBN 0814707068. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Squire, Larry R., ed. (1998). The History of Neuroscience in Autobiography, Volume 2. The Society for Neuroscience, Academic Press. p. 106. ISBN 0-12-660302-2. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- "Panayotis G. Katsoyannis". Mount Sinai Medical Center. Retrieved 2009-11-02.
- Niss, Barbara J.; Aufses, Arthur H. (2005). Teaching Tomorrow's Medicine Today: the Mount Sinai School of Medicine, 1963–2003. New York University Press. p. 46. ISBN 0814707068. Retrieved 2009-11-02.