||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Dr. Panchakshari Hiremath (Kannada: ಪಂಚಾಕ್ಷರಿ ಹಿರೇಮಠ; born 1933) is a writer and noted poet, short story writer, essayist, critic, translator, orator, editor and freedom fighter who writes in Kannada, Urdu and Hindi. In 2005, he won the Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award for translation.
Hiremath was born at Bisarahalli, Koppal District in Karnataka. He was actively involved in the freedom struggle of Hyderabad Karnataka. He worked as a professor in Karnataka University and Karnatak College, Dharwad. His first collection of poems appeared in 1959.
Hiremath is most famous as a Poet. He is a strong opponent of division of Indian society on the basis of language. Hiremath strongly opposed dividing the society on the basis of language. Some of Hiremath's own works have been translated into Hindi, Urdu, Malayalam, Tamil, Marathi, Nepali, English, Spanish, French and German.
Dr. Hiremath is a recipient of several regional, national and international awards.
- 2013 Shri ChennaRenuka Basava Prashasti, Harkud Math, Basavakalyan,Gold Medal and Cash Award.
- 2010 'Goenka Hindi Sahitya Sarswata Sammana' Awarded by Kamala Goenka Foundation, Bangalore.
- 2005, Dr.Hiremath won the Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award for translating Qurratulain Hyder Urdu short stories Patjhar Ki Awaz to Kannada. The translated collection was titled Hemantha Ruthuvina Swaragalu.
- During Nehru Centenary, Soviet Union awarded "Soviet Land Nehru Award"
- 1994 Karnataka Sahitya Academy Honorary Award
- 1997 Rajyotsava Award, Government of Karnataka
- 1985 D.Litt. World University, Arizona. USA
- 2003, Hiremath won The Gorur Foundation Trust's award for Poetry.
- Nee Rudranagu
- Bayake Ee Manake (Prescribed as textbook by Dakshina Bharat Hindi Prachara Sabha, Chennai)
- Mitra Deshada Kavithegalu (Russian poems; received Soviet Land Nehru Award)
- Gaali Gandha
- Belakina Heppu Hakuva Tavaka
- Indhradhanussu (Translation from Hindi)
- Manasi (Forty five poems of Rabindranath Tagore)
- Bayala Baninalli (Translation from Hindi)(Awarded Moorusavirmath Literary Award)
- Ondu Mattu Ondu, Eradu (Translation from Hindi)
- Aashe Tumbida Usirugalu(Translation from Hindi)
- Bhooma (Translation from Hindi)
- Aarambhava Maduve (Awarde Gorur Literary Award)
- Samagra Kavye – Volume 1
- Samagra Kavye – Volume 2 (500 poems translated from different languages)
- Keladi (Samagra Kavya – Volume 3) (5005 Muktakas)
- Ennaleka (Prescribes as textbook by Karnataka University, Dharward)
- Hematha Rutuvina Swaragalu (Tr. from Urdu. Kendra Sahitya Akademi Award 2005)
- Quratul Ein Hyder Avara Aida Kathegalu
- Krishna Chandara Kathegalu
- Hennondu Madhupatre (Ten stories of Amrita Preetam)
- Ippattelu Urdu Kathegalu
- Kashmirada Hovu (Translation from Urdu)
- Gulabi Hoovu (Translation from Urdu)
- Desha – Videshada Kathegalu (Stories from different nations and languages)
- Kappu Hottage(Tr. from Gujarati)
- Aaru Adi Bhoomi (Kannada Translation of Abdus Samad's Urdu novel Do Gaz Zameen), included in The Hindu's Top 10 Books of the Week
- Magga Chellida Belaku (Translation from Hindi)
- Nari (Kannada translation of Siyaram Sharan Gupta's Hindi novel)
- Kattaleyondige (Translation from Hindi)
- Jaragavada Rani (Translation from Urdu)
- Ivan- e- Ghazal(Translation from Urdu)
- Borban Club (Translation from Urdu)
- Kavi – Kavya – Darshana
- Kavi – Kavya – Kalpane
- Kavi – Kavya – Chintana
- Kavi – Kavya – Vihara
- Kavindra Ravindraru
- Kasmirada Mahayogini Lalleswari
- Hadinaru Prabandhagalu
- Cheluvina Alegalu
- Urdu Sahitya-Ondu Parichaya
- Galib (Translation from Urdu)
- Gnana Peetha Prasasti Vijeta Firaq Gorkhapuri
- R C Bhoosnurmath (Kavi, Kavya parichaya)
- Chintana – Chirantana
- Chintana – Deepti
- Manasa – 1 (Tr. from Hindi, Rajasthan Patrika, Jaipur)
- Manasa – 2 (Tr. from Hindi, Rajasthan Patrika, Jaipur)
- Manasa – 3 (Tr. from Hindi, Rajasthan Patrika, Jaipur)
- Hanagal Kumara Swamigalu
- Sri Vijaya Mahanta Shivayogigalu
- Punya Chittaru
- Linga Leela Lolaru
- Mukti Kshetra Ulavi
- Puratana Lucknow (Translation from Urdu) (Awarded Moorusavirmath Literary Award)
Religion and Philosophy
- Veershaiva Pradeep
- Bharata Darshana
- Ee Baduku Bangara
- Enentha Madhuravee Baduku
- Atma Sakhi, Tumbu Hrudaya Battalanu
- Chocolate Mattu Itara Kathegalu
- Neeti Kathegalu
- Darodegarana Maga (Translation from Hindi)
- Bharatada Arasaru Mattu Sri Samanyaara Kathegalu (Translation from English)
- Eidaga (Translation from Urdu)
- Surakhabada Garigalu
- Makkala Kathegalu
- Hattu Hindi Laghu Natakagalu
- Panchali Shapatha Mattu Itara Natakagalu (Tr. from Tamil and Malayalam)
- Mooru Panjabi Natakagalu
- Chitrangada Mattu Itara Natakgalu (Tr. of Radio plays from Oriya, Hindia Bengali)
- Neeru Taruva Hadi Mattu Itara Natakagalu (Tr. from Urdu, Bengali)
- Anuvadita Kathegalu (Collection of translated dramas)
- Manjari (Poems, Features, Stories and Articles)
- Yuga Purusha Translation by Vijayalakshmi Wodeyar
- Swami Vijaya Mahantesh Translation by Dr. Basavaraj Naiker
- Ulavi- The Abode of salvation Translation by Prof.C.N Hiremath
- Waves of Love Translation by Dr.C.V.Venugopal
- Sing the Song of Life Translation by Dr.C.V.Venugopal
- Mani Mukura Prabhe
- Gavi Deepti (With others)
- Shivalinga Deepti
- Shiva Deva (With others)
- Padmashri(With others)
- Abhinava Renuka
- Bhaveyavara Bhoodan
Works on Dr Hiremath
- Dr. Panchakshari Hiremath Krutigalu – Ondhu Adhyana by Prof A H Masapati
- Vachana Panchakshari by Yellappa Halakurki
- Vatsalya (Felicitation Volume) Ed by Dr. C V Venugopal and Dr. Basavaraj Naiker
- Swatantra Senani, Prasiddha Sahiti – Dr. Panchakshari Hiremath by Dr Gavisiddappa H Patil (Gulbarga University, Gulbarga)
- Ajata Shatru Dr. Panchakshari Hiremath Ed. by Prof C V Patil and Prof H V Bhikshavarthimath
Research work carried on the literary works of Dr. Panchakshari Hiremath
- Research for PhD Degree
- PhD Thesis submitted and PhD awarded to Researcher of Gulbarga University.
Research for M.Phil. Degree
- Stories translated from Urdu by Dr. Panchakshari Hiremath – Dissertation submitted by Shri. A.B.Rottigawad. Guide : Dr Basavaraj Yakkundimath, Karnatak University, Dharwad.
- Original Poems of Dr. Panchakshari Hiremath – Dissertation submitted by Ms.Prabha Halkurki. Guide : Dr. S V Ayyanagoudar, Karnatak University, Dharwad.
- "Literary function". Deccan Herald. 26 June 2004. Archived from the original on 14 January 2005. Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- "Akademi Translation Prizes 1989–2005". Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- "Translated works act as bridge between people". The Hindu. 13 March 2006. Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- "Gorur Sahitya Prashasti for 3". The Hindu. 3 April 2003. Retrieved 28 November 2006.
- "Top 10 Books of the Week". The Hindu. 26 May 2006. Retrieved 28 November 2006.