Town Panchayat (T.P.)
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
A town panchayat or panchayat town is a small town of approximately 20,000 to 25,000 inhabitants. It is formed under the panchayati raj administrative system. In census data, the abbreviation T.P. is used to indicate a "town panchayat". Tamil Nadu was the first state to introduce the panchayat town as an intermediate step between rural villages and urban local bodies (ULB).
Each Indian state has its own management directorate for panchayat towns.
- Karnataka: 
- Kerala: Local Self Government Department
- Tamil Nadu: Directorate of Town Panchayats
- "About Us: Urbanization in Karnataka, ULB Organization Chart, DMA Organization Chart". Directorate of Municipal Administration, Government of Karnataka. 2 February 2013. Archived from the original on 11 February 2013.
- "Census Data 2001 / Metadata: 24. Abbreviations Used". Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. Archived from the original on 17 June 2007.
- "About Us: Town Panchayats Administration: Introduction". Directorate of Town Panchayats, Government of Tamil Nadu. Archived from the original on 22 January 2012.
- "Local Self Government Department". Local Self Government Department, Government of Kerala.
- "Directorate of Town Panchayats". Directorate of Town Panchayats, Government of Tamil Nadu.