Panda Restaurant Group
|Genre||Chinese and Japanese restaurants|
|Headquarters||1683 Walnut Grove Avenue, Rosemead, California 91770 U.S. (626-799-9898), Rosemead, California|
Number of locations
|43 U.S. states, Puerto Rico, and Mexico|
Chairman & Co-CEO
Peggy Tsiang Cherng,
Co-Chairman & Co-CEO
|Revenue||$2.5 billion (2016)|
Number of employees
Panda Restaurant Group, Inc., parent company of Panda Inn, Panda Express & Hibachi-San, was founded by Andrew and Peggy Tsiang Cherng  and Andrew's father, Master Chef Ming-Tsai Cherng, the family originating in the Yangzhou region of China's Jiangsu province. They started their first Panda Inn restaurant in 1973 in Pasadena, California. The group has its headquarters in Rosemead, California.
Andrew Cherng '70 and his wife Peggy Tsiang Cherng met at Baker University in Baldwin City, Kansas. Peggy Cherng went on to receive her B.S. degree in Mathematics from Oregon State University in 1971 and a Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Missouri.The company debuted on Forbes' 2016 edition of America Largest Private Companies
The Panda Restaurant Group includes Panda Express, Panda Inn, and Hibachi-San.
- About (Panda History 'Fact Sheet')
- Panda Express - Locations, Panda Restaurant Group, Inc. Accessed: Aug. 4, 2012
- The Panda Story: 2011
- Jennings, Lisa, "Having words with Peggy Tsiang Cherng: chief executive and co-chair, Panda Restaurant Group", Nation's Restaurant News, August 1, 2005
- "About Hibachi-San." Retrieved on April 17, 2010.
- "Corporate Fact Sheet." Panda Restaurant Group. Retrieved on February 26, 2010.
- "Cherngs honored for contributions in L.A. area", Baker Pride alumni magazine, Baker University, Kansas, Spring 2008 issue.
- Bernstein, Charles, 'Manchu Leads the Working Race,' Restaurants & Institutions, August 1, 1994, p. 30.
- Cebrzynski, Gregg, 'Panda Express Breaks TV Ad Campaign as Test to Raise Brand Awareness,' Nation's Restaurant News, August 9, 1999, p. 11.
- Farkas, David, 'Fast and Friendly,' Chain Leader, March 2000, p. 72.
- Glover, Kara, 'Success on Oriental (Food) Express,' Los Angeles Business Journal, September 25, 1995, p. 21.
- Leibowitz, Ed, "The Tao of Panda Express: The Chinese food chain’s success story—how a single outlet in the Glendale Galleria grew to 1,800 locations worldwide—begins with one secret ingredient: owners who care", LA Magazine, April 20, 2015
- Marchetti, Michele, and Alisson, Lucas, 'Creating Panda-monium,' Sales & Marketing Management, January 1996, p. 14.
- Martin, Richard, 'Panda Express: Bullish about the Bear,' Nation's Restaurant News, May 16, 1994, p. 86.
- ------, 'Top Chi-Chi's, El Torito Execs Tackle Panda Push,' Nation's Restaurant News, August 7, 1995, p. 18
- Walkup, Carolyn, 'Panda Express Promo Targets Takeout Business,' Nation's Restaurant News, February 28, 1994, p. 7.