|Founded||Durango, Basque Country, Spain (1990)|
|Headquarters||Bilbao, Basque Country, Spain|
|Diego Navarrete (CEO)|
Spam and spyware detection
Security and management tools
Panda Security SL, formerly Panda Software, is a Spanish computer security company founded in 1990 by Panda's former CEO, Mikel Urizarbarrena, in the city of Bilbao, Spain. Initially producing antivirus software, the company has expanded its product range to include firewall applications, spam and spyware detection applications, cybercrime prevention technology, and other system management and security tools.
Panda's products include security tools for home users and enterprises, including protection against cybercrime and kinds of malware that can damage IT systems, such as spam, hackers, spyware, dialers and undesirable web content, as well as detection of WiFi intrusions. Its trademark technology, branded TruPrevent, is a set of proactive capabilities aimed at blocking unknown viruses and intruders. In 2007 Panda introduced a new collective intelligence security model, which utilizes grid computing for malware collection and detection.
On November 2009, Panda unveiled its first Cloud-Based Security Services for Home Users and SMBs.
About the company
In 2005, Panda Security was the fourth largest antivirus vendor worldwide, with 3.2% of the marketplace. In November 2015 OPSWAT measured Panda Security's market share to be 3.6%. The company, whose shares were previously 100% held by Urizarbarrena, announced on 24 April 2007 the sale of 75% of its shares to Southern European investment group Investindustrial and private equity firm Gala Capital. On 30 July 2007 the company changed its name from Panda Software to Panda Security and Urizarbarrena was replaced by Jorge Dinares. Almost one year later, on 3 June 2008, amidst flagging sales, the board of directors voted to remove Dinares and replace him with Juan Santana, the CFO. Santana resigned in September 2011 and was replaced by José Sancho as acting CEO.
Panda Security is rated by Gartner analysts as a technology innovator. Technological milestones include its pioneering launch of security systems, such as the SaaS concept (Security as a Service) or antivirus solutions that provide protection from the cloud (cloud computing) and are based on what Panda calls Collective Intelligence, a security model Panda introduced on the market in 2007.
According to its CEO, the main benefit this security model provides is that it allows automatic scanning of threats instead of the manual scans carried out by other companies, making it quicker and more efficient in malware detection.
Panda Security has subsidiaries in the US, Germany, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands, France, UK, Sweden, Finland, Spain and Japan. Additionally, it has franchises in another 44 countries. The US subsidiary has had five management turnovers since 2007 before moving its headquarters to Orlando, Florida in 2009,
In late 2009 Panda Security created a partnership with Web of Trust to help fight against the war of viruses.
Panda was previously embroiled in a lawsuit with one of its channel partners, External Technologies, Inc. In 2013, Panda prevailed in its lawsuit against External Technologies, recovering a judgment in excess of $100,000 and prevailing on all claims asserted by External against Panda. On 3 August 2010, a new office location in Menlo Park, California was publicly announced by Panda's CEO via his Twitter account.
In 2012, Panda Security was the tenth largest antivirus vendor worldwide, with 2.0% of the marketplace.
PandaSecurity is one of the two Spanish companies that appear on the 2013 Truffle Top 100 ranking for software developers in Europe.
Panda Security is one of the world's top ten leading software development and IT protection companies, according to the report from 2013 report La empresa española en el mundo, which was carried out by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation.
Highlights of its technological achievements include being a pioneer in the launch of security systems such as SaaS (Security as a Service) and an antivirus that allows for protection from the cloud (cloud computing). These landmarks are based on what Panda refers to as Collective Intelligence, a security model that Panda presented to the marketplace in 2007.
The main benefit of this security model is that, according to Panda’s CEO, it allows for an automatic analysis of threats. This differs to the manual analysis of malware offered by rival companies, and allows Panda to offer a faster and more efficient detection of malware.
Panda Security competitors in the antivirus industry include Symantec Corp, Kaspersky, F-Secure Corporation, McAfee Inc. y Trend Micro Inc., amongst others.
In 2014, Panda Security was distributed by TriTech Distribution Limited in Hong Kong.
In 2015, Panda Security obtained the best rate protection in the Real World Protection Test by AV-Comparatives.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (January 2009)|
TruPrevent, which was introduced in 2003, is a set of technologies developed by Panda Security for proactive protection in home and corporate computers, as opposed to traditional antivirus products, which provide reactive protection.
TruPrevent technologies offers generic protection against many of the techniques most commonly used by new malware, and policies and rules are developed based on the new vulnerabilities that appear daily.
Due to the vast amount of new malware that appears every day (in 2007 PandaLabs detected an average of 3,000 new samples[clarification needed] a day, which had risen to 35,000 in 2009), Panda Security developed a protection system to automatically detect, scan and classify malware in real time. This security model presented in 2007 was called “Collective Intelligence” and is the basis of the new solutions that offer security from the cloud.
This technology is implemented in its 2009 and 2010 antivirus products for home users and in the new Panda Cloud Antivirus, which the company has classified as the first antivirus in history that provides protection from the cloud 
These antivirus products only include the information about malware samples that cause most infections at any given moment, while the rest of the information is stored in Panda’s knowledge base. The antivirus connects to this knowledge base whenever necessary. This system is designed to offer real-time protection against thousands of new malware samples, use the community knowledge base to offer further protection and not to consume computer resources.
XMT Technology 2015
The main feature that was announced for the 2015 line of consumer products was the incorporation of an XMT detection engine for Panda Security’s Smart Engineering.
Industry trials that have been carried out by independent laboratories such as AV-Comparatives, AV-Test, and Virus Bulletin have demonstrated the power of the new engine, which is integrated into all of the solutions that make up Panda’s consumer line as of 2015.
Features of the 2016 Consumer Solutions range
- Data protection (Data Shield) to prevent the stealing of information relating to the devices.
- Protection of Wi-Fi networks to display the computers on the network and detect intruders.
- USB protection, providing immunization and a protective shield to analyze the USB when inserted into the device.
- Improved features such as Parental Control; application control, an effective protection against zero-day malware; PC recovery system, safe browsing, and password management and a new interface.
Products for businesses
- Adaptive Defense
- Adaptive Defense 360
- Audit Service
- Email Protection
- Endpoint Protection
- Endpoint Protection Plus
- Internet Protection
- Systems Management
Products for consumers
- Panda Antivirus for Mac 2016
- Panda Antivirus Pro 2016
- Panda Free Antivirus 2016 (free)
- Panda Global Protection 2016
- Panda Gold Protection 2016
- Panda Internet Security 2016
- Panda Mobile Security 2016
- Antivirus software
- Comparison of antivirus software
- Comparison of computer viruses
- Internet security
- Panda Cloud Antivirus
- "Panda Security Unveils First Cloud-Based Security Services for Home Users and SMBs". cloudprotection.pandasecurity.com.
- "Gartner Says Worldwide Antivirus Software Market Increased 13.6 Percent in 2005".
- "Anti-malware Vendor and Encryption Product Market Share Report: November 2015".
- "Investindustrial and Gala Capital invest in Panda Software to undertake an important expansion plan and launch new IT security solutions globally".
- "Panda Security".
-  Archived 22 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Panda Security axes jobs, gets new chief exec".
-  Archived 3 October 2011 at the Wayback Machine
- "Collective Intelligence".
- [dead link]
- "Panda Security".
-  Archived 5 April 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- WOT Services Ltd. "Panda Security and Against Intuition partner to offer WOT, the community-based safe surfing tool - WOT (Web of Trust)".
- "External Technologies, Inc. v. Panda Distribution, Inc. d/b/a Panda Security USA et al.".
- "Juan Santana on Twitter: First day in the new Menlo Park office of Panda Security. It is going to be fun down here :-)".
- "Antivirus Market Analysis: December 2012".
- "Panda Security Distributor In HK | Panda Security HK". www.ttdist.com. Retrieved 2015-12-09.
- "Panda Security detects and blocks 99.9% of threats! - MediaCenter Panda Security". MediaCenter Panda Security. Retrieved 2015-12-09.
- [dead link]
- "Panda Cloud Antivirus: The First Free Cloud-Based Antivirus Thin-Client".
- "How Collective Intelligence works and security from the cloud works".