Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari|
|Produced by||Fox Star Studios|
|Written by||Nitesh Tiwari|
|Screenplay by||Nitesh Tiwari|
|Story by||Nikhil Mehrohtra|
Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari
|Cinematography||Jay I. Patel|
|Edited by||Ballu Saluja|
|Distributed by||Fox Star Studios|
Panga (transl. To mess with) is an upcoming Indian Hindi-language sports drama film directed by Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari and produced by Fox Star Studios. The film features Kangana Ranaut, Jassi Gill, Richa Chadda, Neena Gupta and Yagya Bhasin. The story depicts the jovial life of a kabaddi player.
- Kangana Ranaut as Jaya Nigam
- Jassi Gill as Prashant Shrivastava
- Richa Chadda as Meenu
- Neena Gupta as Jaya's mother
- Yagya Bhasin as Aditya Nigam aka Adi, Jaya and Prashant's son
Rooted in the subculture of societal facts Panga is an emotional roller coaster tale of a middle-class Indian woman; A forgotten kabaddi world champion who catalyzes an inner desire to give a new meaning to her existing role as a wife and mother and takes an ingenious decision to come back to the sport despite the challenges of age stereotypes and a new generation complexities which creates an upheaval in her life as she is torn between family responsibility and love for the sport.
Panga was announced on 21 August 2018 with Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari sharing an emotional Instagram video montage of herself, Kangana Ranaut, Jassi Gill, Neena Gupta and their families, indicating that when your kin stands behind you, no one in the world can take ‘panga’ with you. Ranaut told Mumbai Mirror in an interview: “When Ashwiny narrated the film's story, I was completely moved. My family has been my pillar of strength and have always stood by me through thick and thin. I could really relate to the emotions of the film. Plus, Ashwiny is known for her slice-of-life films and I loved her recent work in Bareilly Ki Barfi. Panga is even more special for me as, for the first time, I will be playing the role of a National-level Kabaddi player. That's going to be challenging for sure! I am looking forward to some exciting times with Ashwiny and the Fox Star team.”
Gill who is playing role of husband of Ranaut in the film told Mumbai Mirror: “I loved the script, especially the inspiring family angle. The film is a roller-coaster of emotions but to me the real Indian family feeling was the most heart-warming part of the subject. Since I come from a very close-knit family, I could identify with the story.”
The actors appearing in the film as kabbadi players including Ranaut underwent training in kabaddi for over two months.
The film went on floor on 23 March 2017 in Panaji. The first schedule of the film was wrapped up on 7 December 2018. The second schedule of the film was wrapped up on 22 June 2019. The director planned next schedule in a Delhi stadium in April. The third schedule of shooting began in April 2019 in Delhi. The Delhi schedule of the film was completed in mid April and next schedule of shooting to begin in Kolkata. The filming was completed in mid July 2019, Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari, the director of the film wrote on her Instagram account, "My dearest Panga Humans are the sun. The sun that spread a ray of hope when things seem really impossible to achieve."
Marketing and release
The first look poster of Ranaut was released on 19 December 2019.
The film is scheduled for release on 24 January 2020.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Panga - Title Track"||Harshdeep Kaur, Divya Kumar, Siddharth Mahadevan||3:19|
|2.||"Dil Ne Kaha"||Shahid Mallya, Asees Kaur||4:46|
|3.||"Dil Ne Kaha" (Reprise)||Jassi Gill, Asees Kaur||3:52|
- Taran Adarsh [@taran_adarsh] (7 March 2019). "Release date finalised... Richa Chadha, Jassie Gill, and Neena Gupta and Kangana, ... #Panga to release on 10 Jan 2020... Directed by Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari... Produced by Fox Star Studios. t.co/njw129hxUw" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Panga (2020)". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved 18 January 2020.
- "Panga, Kangana Ranaut's kabaddi film title announced with emotional Instagram video". Hindustani Times. 21 August 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "No 'Panga' with Kangana Ranaut: Director Ashwini Iyer Tiwari on Her Equation with Her Film's Star". India West. 9 November 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Photo: Kangana Ranaut heads for the shoot of her upcoming film 'Panga'". Times of India. 9 November 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Kangana Ranaut wraps up the first schedule of Panga". Times of India. 7 December 2018.
- "Panga: Kangana Ranaut and Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari wrap up second schedule". Bollywood Hungama. 28 February 2019. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "My existing reality is a reflection of my dear ones' belief in me. From the team backed by its families. Presenting Panga". Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari on Instagram. 21 August 2018. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Kangana Ranaut-Ahwiny Iyer Tiwari's 'Panga' first look out, movie slated to release next year". DNA India. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Panga shoot takes Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari to Delhi". Times of India. 7 March 2019.
- "Photo: Kangana Ranaut enjoys 'Gol Gappas' in Delhi". Times of India. 5 April 2019. Retrieved 6 April 2019.
- "Photos: Kangana Ranaut wraps up the Delhi schedule of her upcoming film 'Panga'". Times of India. 10 April 2019. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Panga' wrap-up: Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari thanks her team!". Business Standard. 14 July 2019.
- "Panga FIRST LOOK: Kangana Ranaut laughs with abandon in this heartwarming still from the film". Times Now News. 7 March 2019. Retrieved 7 March 2019.
- "Panga first poster out: Jo sapne dekhte hain woh panga lete hain". India Today. 19 December 2019. Retrieved 19 December 2019.
- Fox Star Studios (23 December 2019). "Panga - Official Trailer - Kangana - Jassie - Richa - Dir: Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari - 24th Jan, 2020". Retrieved 23 December 2019 – via YouTube.