Logo of the Western Punjabi Wikipedia (above) and Eastern Punjabi Wikipedia (below)
Type of site
|Internet encyclopedia project|
ਇੱਕ ਅਜ਼ਾਦ ਗਿਆਨਕੋਸ਼
The Free Encyclopaedia
|Users||Western: 16,309 (October 2016)
Eastern: 15,776 (October 2016)
|Launched||October 24, 2008
June 3, 2002 (Eastern Punjabi)
|Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 and GFDL, Media licensing varies|
The Punjabi Wikipedia (Punjabi: پنجابی وکیپیڈیا (Shahmukhi); ਪੰਜਾਬੀ ਵਿਕੀਪੀਡੀਆ (Gurmukhi)) is the Punjabi language edition of Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. There are two Punjabi Wikipedia editions viz. Western Punjabi Wikipedia (in Shahmukhi script) and Eastern Punjabi Wikipedia (in Gurmukhi script).
Since August 2012, it has about 26 million readers from all over the world.
The first Punjabi Wikipedia workshop was organized in Ludhiana on July 28, 2012 and later another on August 16, 2012 at the Punjabi University in Patiala to inform people how to edit and add to the Wiki.
Wiki-events and workshops to improve this Wikipedia and increase number of editors are conducted on regular basis. In October 2015 a seminar was organised at an event in Amritsar, where 148 students from 17 schools participated. The aim of the seminar to increase awareness about Wikipedia among the students. There are 22,963 articles on the Gurmukhi Punjabi Wikipedia as of August 10 2016.
The Western edition was started on 24 October, 2008 via the Wikimedia Incubator, and its domain came into existence on August 13, 2009. The project was pioneered by Khalid Mahmood, a college professor from Islamabad.
There are 42,043 articles on the Shahmukhi Punjabi Wikipedia as of 28 July 2016.
- Western Punjabi Wikipedia statistics
- Punjabi Wikipedia statistics
- "Punjabi Wikipedia workshop in Delhi on 27th, Ludhiana on 28th of July". July 27, 2012. YesPunjab.com. Retrieved October 14, 2012. External link in
- "Contribute to Wikipedia Punjabi, says representative". Tribune India. Ludhiana. July 29, 2012. Retrieved October 10, 2012.
- Wikipedia:Multilingual statistics (2004)
- "Articles can be compiled in the Punjabi Version of Wikipedia". News. PunjabNewsExpress. August 18, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012. External link in
- "Punjabi Wikipedia Workshop at Punjabi University, Patiala". News. CIS-India.org. September 28, 2012. Retrieved October 14, 2012. External link in
- "148 students attend Maa Boli Mela". Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- [[[:pa:ਖ਼ਾਸ:ਅੰਕੜੇ|ਖ਼ਾਸ:ਅੰਕੜੇ]] "ਅੰਕੜੇ"] Check
|url=value (help). ਵਿਕੀਪੀਡੀਆ, ਇਕ ਅਜ਼ਾਦ ਵਿਸ਼ਵਗਿਆਨਕੋਸ਼ (in Punjabi). ਵਿਕੀਮੀਡੀਆ ਫ਼ਾਊਂਡੇਸ਼ਨ. Retrieved 11 August 2016.
- Erhart, Ed (31 October 2016). "Remembering Khalid Mahmood". Wikimedia Blog. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Punjabi Wikipedia.|