Pannonian steppe in Hungary - Puszta
The Puszta (Hungarian pronunciation: [ˈpustɒ]) is a grassland biome on the Great Hungarian Plain (Alföld) around the River Tisza in the eastern part of Hungary as well as on the western part of Hungary and in the Austrian Burgenland. The Hungarian puszta is an exclave of the Eurasian Steppe.
It covers a total area of ca. 50,000 km2 (20,000 sq mi). The characteristic landscape is composed of treeless plains, saline steppes and salt lakes, and includes scattered sand dunes, low, wet forests and freshwater marshes along the floodplains of the ancient rivers.
The word Puszta means "plains", a vast wilderness of shrubs and grassland. The name comes from an adjective of the same form, meaning "waste, barren, bare". Puszta is ultimately a Slavic loanword in Hungarian (compare Serbo-Croatian and Bulgarian pust and Polish pusty, both meaning bare or empty).
The climate is continental. The landscape has been widely cultivated and the original Puszta landscape is now found only in a few places, for example in Hortobágy National Park.
300 species of birds are found here.
Pannonian steppe in Slovakia
Apart from the Čenkovská forest-steppe, other notable steppe and forest-steppe biomes in Slovakia are located mostly around the Danubian and East Slovak plains and the southern ranges of the Pramatra system. Two of the biomes are Devínska Kobyla and the Slovak Karst (connects to Aggtelek in Hungary).
Pannonian steppe in Austria
- Természettudományi Múzeum (Hungary), 1969. link: https://books.google.sk/books?id=cOrRAAAAMAAJ&q=%22pannonian+steppe%22+pannonian+basin&dq=%22pannonian+steppe%22+pannonian+basin&hl=sk&sa=X&ei=i9s0T_OeF8uQswaBlOigDA&redir_esc=y
- The European Commission (DG ENV B2) commissioned the Management of Natura 2000 habitats, 2008. http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/natura2000/management/habitats/pdf/6260_Pannonic_sand_steppes.pdf ISBN 978-92-79-08328-0
- Ward Chesworth, Encyclopedia of Soil Science, Springer, 2008, p. 66
- Peter Haggett, Encyclopedia of World Geography: Eastern Europe, p. 1781
- Informačný portál rezortu MŽP SR. http://uzemia.enviroportal.sk/main/detail/cislo/22 Slovak Environmental Agency, 2012
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-08-04. Retrieved 2012-02-23. Foruminstitut 2011
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2007-07-02. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-05-18. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-08-05. Retrieved 2012-03-09.