Pantages Theatre (Vancouver)
The Pantages Theatre circa 1912
|Town or city||144-156 East Hastings St., Vancouver, BC|
|Current tenants||Worthington Properties|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Edward Evans Blackmore|
|Other designers||B. Marcus Priteca|
The Pantages Theatre in Vancouver, BC's Downtown Eastside neighbourhood, was built by Alexander Pantages in 1907 and was considered the oldest remaining vaudeville theatre in Canada. It was listed on Heritage Canada's 2009 Top Ten Most Endangered Places List and the Vancouver Heritage Register as a heritage building. It had been vacant since 1994. On 30 September 2008, Vancouver City Council refused the proposal to restore the 650-seat Pantages Theatre, and similarly refused the blackbox studio, art gallery, and 136 units of housing associated with the venture. Since that time, the entire half block had been put up for sale. It was the oldest surviving Pantages Theatre in Western Canada. After the City of Vancouver rejected the renewal proposal the roof of the building collapsed due to the weight of years of water collection. Demolition began in April 2011. There are currently no plans to redevelop the site.
A second Pantages Theatre was constructed in the same area at 20 West Hastings Street, beginning in 1914 but not finished until 1917-18 due to World War I. It was also known as the Beacon, the Odeon Hastings and finally as the Majestic. It was demolished in 1967 for a parking lot.
- "Future of Vancouver's Pantages Theatre in doubt". CBC News. October 24, 2008. Retrieved 2009-07-16.
- Heritage Canada Top Ten Backgrounder
- Vancouver Heritage Register (Note: Since removed from register after demolishment)
- "Vancouver heritage theatre demolished". CBC News. April 8, 2011. Retrieved 2011-04-09.
- John Mackie (August 26, 2011). "Final curtain for historic Pantages theatre". The Vancouver Sun. Retrieved 2015-09-01.
- Chuck Davis. "The Pantages in Vancouver". The History of Metropolitan Vancouver. Retrieved 2015-09-01.
- Vancouver History website, 1932 page
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Pantages Theatre (Vancouver).|