The Barack H. Obama Elementary Magnet School of Technology in Panthersville
|• Total||3.7 sq mi (9.7 km2)|
|• Land||3.7 sq mi (9.7 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||889 ft (271 m)|
|• Density||2,600/sq mi (1,000/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
|GNIS feature ID||0332600|
The community most likely was named after a Cherokee Indian subtribe.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 3.7 square miles (9.6 km2), of which 0.27% is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 11,791 people, 4,150 households, and 2,963 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 3,162.0 people per square mile (1,220.5/km²). There were 4,321 housing units at an average density of 1,158.8/sq mi (447.3/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 1.91% White, 96.34% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.20% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 0.31% from other races, and 1.02% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.19% of the population.
There were 4,150 households out of which 38.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 33.3% were married couples living together, 31.9% had a female householder with no husband present, and 28.6% were non-families. 23.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 2.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.83 and the average family size was 3.31.
In the CDP, the population was spread out with 30.1% under the age of 18, 12.0% from 18 to 24, 32.9% from 25 to 44, 21.0% from 45 to 64, and 4.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 29 years. For every 100 females, there were 85.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 77.3 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $38,590, and the median income for a family was $43,363. Males had a median income of $30,836 versus $26,602 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $16,935. About 7.7% of families and 10.1% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.2% of those under age 18 and 8.2% of those age 65 or over.
Panthersville is home to the Gallery at South DeKalb, formerly South DeKalb Mall, a regional shopping center with a Macy's (former Rich's) department store. The former JC Penney now houses independent stores such as Super Beauty and Conway.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Panthersville, Georgia.|
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Race, Hispanic or Latino, Age, and Housing Occupancy: 2010 Census Redistricting Data (Public Law 94-171) Summary File (QT-PL), Panthersville CDP, Georgia". U.S. Census Bureau, American FactFinder 2. Retrieved October 28, 2011.
- Krakow, Kenneth K. (1975). Georgia Place-Names: Their History and Origins (PDF). Macon, GA: Winship Press. p. 171. ISBN 0-915430-00-2.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.