(Ewing and Fife 1972)
Gavini et al. 1989
Enterobacter agglomerans Ewing and Fife 1972
Formerly called Enterobacter agglomerans or Erwinia herbicola, it is an ubiquitous bacterium commonly isolated from plant surfaces, seeds, fruit (e.g., mandarin oranges), and animal or human feces.
Pantoea agglomerans was occasionally reported to be an opportunistic pathogen in immunocompromised patients, causing wound, blood, and urinary-tract infections. However, using the biochemical panels commonly employed in medical diagnostics it is difficult to differentiate Pantoea agglomerans from other species of the same genus or from members of related families such as Enterobacter, Klebsiella, and Serratia spp. It is thus not surprising that subsequent molecular studies based on DNA sequencing have disproved the identity of several clinical isolates initially reported as Pantoea agglomerans, thus questioning the effective hazardousness of the species. For the precise identification of Pantoea agglomerans other methods such as Multilocus sequence typing (MLST) or Whole-Cell MALDI-TOF MS are therefore recommended.
It is also commonly found as a symbiont in the gut of mosquitoes, where it has been genetically engineered to produce antimalaria effector molecules, reducing the prevalence of Plasmodium by up to 98% 
- Rezzonico, F.; Stockwell, V.o.; Tonolla, M.; Duffy, B.; Smits, T.h.m. (2012-04-01). "Pantoea clinical isolates cannot be accurately assigned to species based on metabolic profiling". Transplant Infectious Disease. 14 (2): 220–221. doi:10.1111/j.1399-3062.2011.00684.x. ISSN 1399-3062.
- Rezzonico, Fabio; Smits, Theo HM; Montesinos, Emilio; Frey, Jürg E.; Duffy, Brion (2009-01-01). "Genotypic comparison of Pantoea agglomerans plant and clinical strains". BMC Microbiology. 9: 204. doi:10.1186/1471-2180-9-204. ISSN 1471-2180. PMC . PMID 19772624.
- Delétoile, Alexis; Decré, Dominique; Courant, Stéphanie; Passet, Virginie; Audo, Jennifer; Grimont, Patrick; Arlet, Guillaume; Brisse, Sylvain (2009-02-01). "Phylogeny and Identification of Pantoea Species and Typing of Pantoea agglomerans Strains by Multilocus Gene Sequencing". Journal of Clinical Microbiology. 47 (2): 300–310. doi:10.1128/JCM.01916-08. ISSN 0095-1137. PMC . PMID 19052179.
- Rezzonico, Fabio; Vogel, Guido; Duffy, Brion; Tonolla, Mauro (2010-07-01). "Application of Whole-Cell Matrix-Assisted Laser Desorption Ionization-Time of Flight Mass Spectrometry for Rapid Identification and Clustering Analysis of Pantoea Species". Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 76 (13): 4497–4509. doi:10.1128/AEM.03112-09. ISSN 0099-2240. PMC . PMID 20453125.
- Nature, Pheromones: Exploitation of gut bacteria in the locust
- Wang, Sibao, et al. "Fighting malaria with engineered symbiotic bacteria from vector mosquitoes." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 109.31 (2012): 12734-12739.
|This Gammaproteobacteria-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|