|This article is an orphan, as no other articles link to it. Please introduce links to this page from ; try the Find link tool for suggestions. (January 2014)|
Revolution of 1989
Leader of the Christian Democratic Union
First Ministry and Term
Second Ministry and Term
Third Ministry and Term
The "Pantone Merkel", also known as the "many shades of Merkel" or "Merkel Rainbow", is a compilation of photos of Angela Merkel, Chancellor of Germany, collected by Dutch graphic designer Noortje van Eekelen. It consists of an overview of Merkel's jackets arranged into a chart by colour in a manner similar to the Pantone color chart. The "Pantone Merkel" also includes captions describing the locations and dates the photos were taken.
The series is composed of 100 different news photos of public moments and has become one of the most widely recognized symbols of Merkel, including many variations and imitations. The project gained considerable media attention via social media and was published by many international websites, magazines and newspapers, including The Guardian, Daily Mail, The New York Times, and The Telegraph.
The Pantone Merkel was created as part of the project "The Spectacle of the Tragedy", a website with collected and repurposed images identifying the politicians who navigate the Eurozone crisis. The project was made as part of van Eekelen's Master of Design at the Sandberg Instituut Amsterdam, and is generally described as a satire of the crisis. The project approaches the Eurozone crisis through a wide variety of disciplines, such as fashion, art, design, journalism, politics, and economics. The purpose of The Spectacle of the Tragedy is to generate a platform to reflect on the euro crisis, by "[telling] a visual story about the politicians that navigate the Euro crisis" and giving readers "an insight into their irresponsible behavior". The project can be interpreted as an entertaining diversion and commentary on how our European leaders are trying to secure financial security in the eurozone.
In contrast to many female celebrities and public figures, Merkel is known for purchasing and repeatedly wearing her own formal clothes. The Merkel-supporting Bild newspaper praised Merkel for attending a formal event in a tunic she had owned since at least 1996.
In (online) discussions, the "Pantone Merkel" is often compared to the "Diamond Jubilee Colour Guide" by Pantone and Leo Burnett London. The Pantone Merkel has been imitated several times by various parties, including Reuters and the German Bild; it has also been shown in different exhibitions and lectures. The artistic approach of the Pantone Merkel was followed by the Dutch image editor Frank Schallmaier, who reached a large audience in December 2013 with a series of photos called "De hand van Hollande".
- Noortje van Eekelen
- SAT 1, DER MINISTER - Angela Murkel zieht sich an (Mark 10, 2013)
- Die Zeit, Merkel Garderobe nach Pantone-Farben sortiert (July 17, 2012)
- La Repubblica Magazine (PRINT), La Merkel nel pantone ce ne fa vedere di tutti i colori (August 10, 2012)
- Le Monde Magazine (PRINT), Vur sur le Net — Affaires Classees (October 26, 2012)
- The Irish Times Magazine (PRINT), The measure of Merkel (September 14, 2013)
- To Vima Magazino, (PRINT) 24 ΠΟΛΙΤΙΚΗ ισ ΤΗσ (September 25, 2013)
- The Guardian, Angela Merkel's jackets: many colours but just one look (October 9 2012)
- The Guardian, Multicoloured Merkel (July 18 2012)
- Dailymail, 50 Shades of Angela Merkel: German Chancellor's outfits recreated as Pantone colour chart (July 19 2012)
- The New York Times, Fashion News We’re Reading Now (October 1 2012)
- Telegraph, Business news and markets: as it happened (September 23 2013)
- The Spectacle of the Tragedy
- Elmundo, La sátira de la crisis: del armario de Merkel a las chicas de Berlusconi (August 5 2012)
- Le Huffington Post, L'anti-mode habitée par la mode: le cas Merkel (August 12 2013)
- Liberation, L'arc-en-ciel selon Angela Merkel (July 19 2012)
- Elle, Le blazer la fashion fixette d Angela Merkel (September 24 2013, France)
- Asos, Shaded of Merkel (September 16 2013)
- Gestalten, Moti Museum of the Image (September 14 2013)
- Dutch Design week 2012, Items Dutch Design Graduates (October 20, The Netherlands)
- Graphic Design Festival Chaumont, Search / Find / Like / Share (May 25 2013, France)
- Biennale Internationale Design Saint-Étienne 2013, Exhibition The Dream Team (March 14 2013, France)
- Corriere della Sera, Pantone Merkella cancelliera e quelle novanta giacche (July 18 2012)
- El Pais, Merkel luce la chaqueta de la afrenta (October 10 2012)
- Daily Express, Angela Merkel and her coats of many colours (September 10 2012)
- La Repubblica (IPAD), Le Giacche della Merkel (July 22, 2012)
- Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung (PRINT) Jacke wie Hose (October 15 2012)
- Dinheiro Vivo, O que tem Angela Merkel e as amigas de Berlusconi em comum? (August 6 2012)
- van Eekelen, Noortje. "About". The Spectacle of the Tragedy. Retrieved 18 January 2015.
- ABC, Pantone Merkel: las mil y una chaquetas de la canciller alemana (July 18 2012, Spain)
- Buzzfeed, 50 Shades Of Angela Merkel (July 17 2012)
- The Irish Times, The Measure of Merkel (September 14 2013)
- "Unsere Kanzlerin bei den Salzburger Festspielen 1996, 2002, 2014. Sie bleibt sich treu. Schön!". Twitter. Bild. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Schuman, Rebecca. "Angela Merkel’s Been Wearing the Same Amazing Tunic for 18 Years". Slate. Retrieved 9 July 2015.
- Pantone (December 30, 2013)
- Leo Burnett (December 30, 2013)
- Reuters, Merkel colours different (August 29 2013)
- [Bild, Merkels Farbenlehre (July 18, 2012) (PRINT) ]
- The Cultural Centre of Belgrade Search/Find/Like/Share (March 28 2013, Belgrade)
- West Texas A&M University, GDFB 2012 (February 22 2012, United States)
- Delft University of Technology, Search/Find/Like/Share (September 13 2013 The Netherlands)
- Mezz Breda, Pecha Kucha (February 28, 2013, The Netherlands)
- Ignite Amsterdam (October 31 2012, The Netherlands)
- Pakhuis de Zwijger, Bright Night (October 12 2012, The Netherlands)
- Tivoli Utrecht, PechaKucha Night (October 11, 2012, The Netherlands)
- Volkskrant, De Hand van Hollande (31 december 2013)
- Overview press: