Pantsdrunk (or stylized to Päntsdrunk; Finnish: Kalsarikänni, ˈkɑls̠ɑriˌkænːi (help·info)) is a Finnish-based, mostly asocial form of drinking culture, in which the drinker consumes alcohol drinks at home in as little clothing as possible, mainly in underwear. To a large extent, it is still considered a kind of way of life in Finland, probably related to the stereotyped lack of social contacts among Finns, though the word kalsarikänni and its meaning have long been known around the world. The forced isolation of people in their own homes caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic in 2020 has recently created a global trend for this drinking habit.
Books guiding to the right method and philosophy about "pantsdrunking" have also been written, the most notable being Päntsdrunk (Kalsarikänni): The Finnish Path to Relaxation (Drinking at Home, Alone, in Your Underwear) written by Miska Rantanen in 2018. The Australian brewery Two Birds Brewing has also launched a product called Kalsarikännit based on the word, served in two different flavors: a dark stout flavored with vanilla and cocoa, and a hazy pale with tropical fruit.
- Stereotypes about Finland and Finns - True of False?
- Kalsarikännit: Drinking at home in your undies, like Finns
- It’s time to embrace the Finnish tradition of drinking in your underwear
- This Finnish word for getting drunk home alone in your underwear is perfect for right now
- What may happen after the coronavirus in Finland?
- This new Scandi lifestyle trend involves drinking wine alone in your underwear and bingeing on Netflix — and its name is pretty fitting
- 'Pantsdrunk' and the Finnish art of relaxing
- Forget hygge, let's all get päntsdrunk
- Is "Päntsdrunk" The Easier & Less Smug Hygge?
- Pantsdrunk, the Finnish Art of Relaxation
- WHERE TO GET YOUR HANDS ON KALSARIKÄNNIT VANILLA & CACAO STOUT and HAZY PALE
- The inventors of the Australian Kalsarikännit beer tell how the name came to be - “It bumped”
- The Australian brewery introduced a beer with a surprising name: “Kalsarikännit” - caiman can also be found in Holland!
- Rantanen, Miska (2018). Pantsdrunk: The Finnish Path to Relaxation (Drinking at Home, Alone, in Your Underwear). Harper Collins. ISBN 978-0062855893.