Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri
|Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri|
Serpieri at the Barcelona International Comics Convention (2016).
|Born||Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri
February 29, 1944
|Awards||Harvey Award, 1995|
Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri (born February 29, 1944) is an Italian comic book writer and illustrator, noted for his works of highly detailed renderings of the human form, particularly erotic images of women. He is best known for his work on the Druuna erotic science fiction series.
Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri was born February 29, 1944 in Venice. He moved to Rome in his youth. He studied architecture and painting at Rome's Fine Arts Academy in Rome under Renato Guttuso, and began his career as a painter in 1966, but in 1975 he shifted his focus to comics. He produced work for the Italian comics magazine Lanciostory. A big fan of the American Old West, Serpieri co-created L'Histoire du Far-West (The Story of the West), a Western series about the history of the Old West, with writer Raffaele Ambrosio, which was published in the magazines Lanciostory and Skorpio. Some of the titles were L'Indiana Bianca (The White Indian) and L'Uomo di Medicina (Medicine Man). Beginning in 1980 Serpieri worked on collections like Découvrir la Bible, as well as short stories for magazines such as L'Eternauta, Il Fumetto and Orient Express.
In 1985, he published Morbus Gravis, the first work of the Druuna saga. The series is noteworthy for featuring realistic and explicit content including graphic violence and sex. These books have been very successful, selling more than a million copies in twelve languages. The English language translations are published by Heavy Metal.
Due to the interest in this series, Serpieri has also published numerous sketchbooks, such as Obsession, Druuna X, Druuna X 2, Croquis, Serpieri Sketchbook, Serpieri Sketchbook 2 and The Sweet Smell of Woman. Serpieri's highly detailed portrayals of well-endowed heroines have earned him the distinction of "Master of the Ass".
- Morbus Gravis (Severe Disease) (1985, Dargaud, ISBN 3-933187-69-9)
- Druuna (1987, Dargaud, ISBN 2-908406-63-2)
- Creatura (1990, Bagheera, ISBN 3-933187-71-0)
- Carnivora (1992, Bagheera, ISBN 3-933187-72-9)
- Mandragora (1995, Bagheera, ISBN 2-908406-32-2)
- Aphrodisia (1997, Bagheera, ISBN 2-908406-69-1)
- La Planète oubliée (The Forgotten Planet) (2000, Bagheera, ISBN 2-908406-60-8)
- Clone (2003, Bagheera, ISBN 2-908406-72-1)
- Anima (2016)
- "Serpieri, Paolo Eleuteri". Bedetheque (French)
- "Serpieri dans Pilote". BD oubiliées. (French)
- "Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri dans Bodoï". BDoubliées. (French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri.|