Sorrentino at the 2017 Cannes Film Festival
31 May 1970|
|Alma mater||University of Naples Federico II|
|Occupation||Film director, screenwriter|
Life and career
Sorrentino was born in Naples. His first film as screenwriter, The Dust of Naples, was released in 1998. He also began directing short movies, including L'amore non ha confini in 1998 and La notte lunga in 2001. His feature-length debut was One Man Up (L'uomo in più), for which he was awarded the Nastro D'Argento prize.
He achieved international recognition in 2004 for his thriller, The Consequences of Love (Le conseguenze dell'amore). The film, which explores the mindset of a lonely businessman being used as a pawn by the Mafia, won many awards and was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival.
Sorrentino's next feature, The Family Friend (L'amico di famiglia), was shown at the Cannes Film Festival in May and the London Film Festival in October 2006. It tells the story of a malicious septuagenarian loan shark who develops a fixation with the beautiful daughter of one of his customers.
Sorrentino's following film, Il Divo, is a dramatised biopic of Giulio Andreotti, the controversial Italian politician. The feature, which won the Prix du Jury at Cannes Film Festival, sees Sorrentino reunited with The Consequences of Love star Toni Servillo, who plays the part of Andreotti.
This Must Be the Place marked the English-language feature debut of the Italian filmmaker. The plot centres around a middle-aged wealthy rock star, played by two-time Academy Award winner Sean Penn, who becomes bored in his retirement and takes on the quest of finding the guard of the German camp where his father was imprisoned, who now lives in hiding in the United States. The film was co-written by Sorrentino and Umberto Contarello, and premiered in competition at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival.
His 2013 film The Great Beauty (La Grande Bellezza) won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film in the 2014 Academy Awards. It won the BAFTA award for Best Film Not in the English Language in the 67th British Academy Film Awards. It also won the Golden Globe for Best Foreign Language Film and was nominated for the Palme d'Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. The film also received several accolades at the 2013 European Film Awards, including "Best Film" and "Best Director" for Sorrentino.
Sorrentino likes to work with the same team of filmmakers, often hiring cast and crew from his previous films. Regular members of the 'team' include:
- Francesca Cima and Nicola Giuliano, who have produced all six of Sorrentino's feature-length films
- Toni Servillo, who has appeared in all of his feature-length films except The Family Friend, This Must Be the Place and Youth
- Luca Bigazzi, who was the cinematographer for all of Sorrentino's feature-length films except One Man Up and Sabato, domenica e lunedì
- Giogiò Franchini, who was the editor for One Man Up, The Consequences of Love, Sabato, domenica e lunedì and The Family Friend
- Cristiano Travaglioli, who was the editor for Il Divo, The Slow Game, This Must Be the Place, Allo specchio and The Great Beauty.
- Lino Fiorito, who was the set designer for all Sorrentino's feature-length films until Il Divo.
|Collaborators||L'amore non ha confini||One Man Up||La notte lunga||The Consequences of Love||Sabato, domenica e lunedì||The Family Friend||Il Divo||The Slow Game||This Must Be the Place||Allo specchio||The Great Beauty|
|Francesca Cima (Producer)|
|Nicola Giuliano (Producer)|
|Toni Servillo (Actor)|
|Umberto Contarello (Co-writer)|
|Luca Bigazzi (Cinematographer)|
|Pasquale Catalano (Composer)|
|Giogiò Franchini (Editor)|
|Cristiano Travaglioli (Editor)|
|Emanuele Cecere (Sound)|
|Daghi Rondanini (Sound)|
|Lino Fiorito (Production designer)|
|Daniela Ciancio (Costume designer)|
|Anna Maria Sambucco (Casting director)|
|1998||The Dust of Naples||Yes|
|2001||One Man Up||Yes||Yes|
|2004||The Consequences of Love||Yes||Yes|
|2006||The Family Friend||Yes||Yes|
|2006||The Caiman||Aida's Husband|
|2009||A Question of the Heart||Alberto's Friend|
|2011||This Must Be The Place||Yes||Yes|
|2013||The Great Beauty||Yes||Yes|
|2014||Rio, I Love You||Yes||Yes||Segment: La Fortuna|
Short films and documentaries
|1994||Un paradiso||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|1998||L'amore non ha confini||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|2001||La notte lunga||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|2002||La primavera del 2002. L'Italia protesta, l'Italia si ferma||Yes||Documentary|
|2004||Giovani talenti italiani||Yes||Documentary|
Segment: Quando le cose vanno male
|2009||La partita lenta||Yes||Yes||Short film|
|2009||L'Aquila 2009. Cinque registi tra le macerie||Yes||Documentary|
Segment: L'assegnazione delle tende
Segment: La principessa di Napoli
|2011||In the Mirror||Yes||Yes||Commercial for Yamamay|
|2014||Sabbia||Yes||Commercial for Armani|
|2014||The Dream||Yes||Yes||Commercial for Bulgari|
|2017||Killer in Red||Yes||Yes||Commercial for Campari|
|2000||La squadra||Yes||2 episodes|
|2004||Sabato, domenica e lunedì||Yes||Television film|
|2010||Boris||Himself||Episode: "Nella rete"|
|2014||Le voci di dentro||Yes||Television film|
|2016||The Young Pope||Yes||Yes||10 episodes; Also creator|
- Everybody's Right (Italian: Hanno tutti ragione, Europa Editions, 2011)
- Gli aspetti irrilevanti (Mondadori, 2016)
- Tony Pagoda e i suoi amici (Feltrinelli, 2012)
- "Paolo Sorrentino's Biography". comingsoon.it.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Consequences of Love". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-11-30.
- "Festival de Cannes: The Family Friend". festival-cannes.com. Retrieved 2009-12-13.
- Coscia, Biagio."Il ritorno di Sorrentino alla sceneggiatura", corriere.it, January 30, 2009
- Fleming, Michael (May 17, 2009). "Sorrentino putting Penn in his 'Place'". Variety. Retrieved May 18, 2009.
- "Festival de Cannes: Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 2011-04-14.
- Tiziano Peccia, "Critica e critiche alla Grande Bellezza", O Olho da História, numero 22 (April 2016)
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 18 April 2013.
- "Winners 2013". European Film Awards. European Film Academy. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- Child, Ben (13 May 2014). "Sorrentino's The Early Years stars Michael Caine as conductor compelled to perform for the Queen". The Guardian. Retrieved 20 December 2014.
- "2015 Official Selection". Cannes. Retrieved 16 April 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Paolo Sorrentino.|