This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Elevation||389 m (1,276 ft)|
|• Rank||8 in HP|
|• Official||Punjabi, Hindi|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
Paonta Sahib (पाउंटा साहिब, ਪਾਉਂਂਟਾ ਸਾਹਿਬ) is one of the major industrial towns of Himachal Pradesh in India. It is located in the south of Sirmaur district, on National Highway 7. Major industries are cement industry (Cement Corporation of India in Rajban), Power Generation - Renewable Energy ( Hydro Power - 1st Private SHP in Himachal and Uttarakhand), Pharmaceutical industry (Sun Pharmaceutical, Mankind Pharma Limited), textiles, chemical industry. Apart from these, Asia's biggest limestone market is located at sataun which is 19 kms from here .
Paonta Sahib is an important place of worship for Sikhs, hosting a large Gurdwara named Gurudwara Paonta Sahib, on the banks of the river Yamuna. The river is the boundary between the states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand.Major hotels/homestays to stay in Paonta Sahib are Puri Homestays, Hotel Guru Surbhi, Hotel Yamuna (HPTDC), Hotel Paonta Valley.
The town was founded by Sikh Guru Guru Gobind Singh. The Gurudwara Paonta Sahib has linkages to the tenth Sikh Guru, Guru Gobind Singh and the Sikh leader Banda Singh Bahadur. Its original name was Paontika. Paon in Hindi means "feet", and tika in Hindi means "became stable". It is believed that Guru Gobind Singh and his horse stopped at this place and he decided to stay here. He lived here for four and a half years, having never stayed so long at any other place in his entire life. He wrote many Sikh religious books here and then went to Anandpur Sahib to establish the Khalsa Panth. The Gurudwara also houses a museum which contains a lot of antiques and weapons used by Guru Gobind Singh during his stay.
Paonta Sahib is located at  It has an average elevation of 389 metres (1,276 feet). It is on the bank of the river Yamuna, the river being the boundary between the states of Himachal Pradesh and Uttarakhand. It is situated near the towns of Nahan in Himachal Pradesh, Yamunanagar in Haryana, Saharanpur in Western Uttar Pradesh and Dehradun in Uttarakhand. It is on the western extreme of the Doon Valley a distance of about 44 km from Dehradun. Kalesar National Park is 12 km from Paonta Sahib..
Paonta Sahib has a sub-tropical continental monsoon climate characterised by a seasonal rhythm, hot summers, slightly cold winters, unreliable rainfall and great variation in temperature (0 °C to 40 °C). In winters, frost sometimes occurs during December and January. It also receives occasional winter rains from the western disturbance.
- Summer: Temperatures may rise to a maximum of 44 °C. The temperature generally remains 35 °C to 40 °C.
- Autumn: The temperature may go to a maximum of 36 °C. The temperature usually remains between 16 °C and 27 °C in autumn. The lowest temperature may go to 13 °C.
- Winter: Temperatures are cool and sometimes chilly. Average temperature in winters (November to February) remains at (max.) 7 °C to 15 °C and (min.) 0 °C to 5 °C.
- Spring: The climate remains quite pleasant. The temperature remains (max.) 16 °C to 25 °C and (min.) 9 °C to 18 °C.
As of the 2011 India census, Paonta Sahib had a population of 1,58,268 (urban 25,172/ rural 1,33,096). Males constitute 53% of the population and females 47%. Paonta Sahib has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than National average of 74.04% (2011 figure).: male literacy is 79%, and female literacy is 72%. In Paonta Sahib, 13% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Paonta Sahib is a municipal council which has 13 wards. This council looks after the development of the city, maintenance of roads, streets, cleanliness etc. The election takes place every five years to elect ward members and a chairman.
Schools in Paonta Sahib include:
- Government Senior Secondary School(Boys)Taruwala
- Guru nanak mission public school
- Government Senior Secondary School(Girls)
- Bibi Jeet Kaur School
- Bright Foundation Academy
- D.A.V Sirmour Sr. Sec School
- Doon Valley School
- NATIONAL PUBLIC HIGH SCHOOL.
- Hill View Public School, Majra
- Kid's Paradise
- Shemrock Nature's Den
- The Rose Orchid World School
- The Scholars' Home
- Vidya Peeth High School
- DuniChand Memorial Public School
- Government Senior Secondary School, Nagheta
- Smart School Taruwala Road
Colleges in Paonta Sahib include:
- Himachal Institute of Pharmacy
- Indian Institute of Management Sirmaur
- Himachal Institute of Dental Sciences
- Himachal Institute of Nursing
- B.K.D. College of Education for Women
- Doon International College of Education
- Guru Gobind Singh ji Govt. Degree College
- Govt. Polytechnic, Paonta Sahib
ITI's in Paonta Sahib include:
- Govt. Industrial Training Institute, Paonta Sahib
- Pt Shiva Nand Remoual ITI, Paonta Sahib
- Gyan Shakti Vidya Peeth ITI, Paonta Sahib
- Galaxy ITI, College Road, Paonta Sahib
Industries in Paonta Sahib include:
- Mankind Pharma Ltd.
- Carlsberg Pvt. Ltd.
- Avalon Cosmetics Pvt. Ltd.
- Surya Urja Private Limited
- Air Himalayas
- Bhagwati Chemical Industries
- Dhauladhar cement Pvt. Ltd.
- Elite Shoes
- Tata Global Beverages - Tata Group
- Sun Pharma Ltd
- Frontier Springs limited
- Power Group - Regency Power Group
- Tirupati Group
- Ski Himalayas
- Sirmour Remedies pvt. Ltd.
- Pontika aerotech
- Himalaya International Ltd.
- Liberty shoes ltd.
- Nanz med. science pharma ltd.
- NCL Ltd.
- Valley iron and steel Ltd.
- Sea pharmaceuticals
- Zeon lifesciences
- Zee laboratories
- Mount Everest mineral water ltd.
- Snow Organics Dairy
- Nitin lifesciences ltd.
- Kutty Flush Door and Furniture Co. pvt. Ltd.
- International Cylinders Pvt. Ltd.
- Khaitan electricals ltd.
- Cement Corporation Of India
- Himanchal Chamber of Commerce and Industry
- Elder Pharma
- Himalaya International
- AAR FOILS
Sectors : Power + Pharmaceuticals + Healthcare + Mining + Limestone + Dairy + Food Processing + Services + Education + Retail
- [dead link]
- "Manufacturing - Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd". Sunpharma.com. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Gurudwara Paonta Sahib - History Of Gurudwara Paonta Sahib - How To Reach Gurudwara Paonta Sahib". Religions.iloveindia.com. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Maps, Weather, and Airports for Paonta Sahib, India". Fallingrain.com. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Distribution of sub-districts by range of rural-urban decadal growth rate of population : Himachal Pradesh, 2001-2011" (PDF). Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Distribution of sub-districts by range of sex ratio by residence : Himachal Pradesh, 2001 & 2011" (PDF). Censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Paonta Sahib Municipal Council City Population Census 2011-2019 - Himachal Pradesh". Census2011.co.in. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "Department of Information & Public Relations, Himachal Pradesh". Web.archive.org. 21 July 2011. Retrieved 22 April 2019.
- "District Sirmaur, Government of Himachal Pradesh - Dev Bhoomi". Hpsirmaur.nic.in. Retrieved 22 April 2019.