Papal conclave, 1334
Coat of arms during the vacancy of the Holy See
|Dates and location|
Palais des Papes, Avignon
|Candidates||Jean-Raymond de Comminges|
(Name taken: Benedict XII)
Twenty-four cardinals attended the Conclave of December, 1334.
An early favorite among the papabile was Cardinal Jean-Raymond de Comminges, Bishop of Porto e Santa Rufina, son of Count Bernard VI of Comminges and Laura de Montfort. The French cardinals, led by Elie de Talleyrand-Perigord, naturally did not want to leave their native France for the plague-infested and unfriendly city of Rome. And since the Orsini faction did want to return to Rome, the Colonna faction chose the exact opposite, and joined the French. A sufficient number of cardinals agreed to support him (2/3. or a minimum of 16 in number), and thus he could have been elected Pope, had he consented to a condition not to return the papacy to Rome. Understandably, he refused his consent to the election.
- Giovanni Villani Cronica Book XI, chapter xxi (p. 239 Dragomanni). Ptolemy of Lucca in Theiner, under the year 1334, § 46, p. 20. See Baluze I, 825.
- Giovanni Villani, Cronaca, Book XI, chapter xx (Vol. III, p. 239 Dragomanni)
- Such an arrangement was contrary to Canon Law. The First Ecumenical Council of Lyon had decreed in 1245 that "In elections, postulations, and scrutinies, which come under the law of electing, conditional, alternative and uncertain votes are completely disapproved..." Ioannes Dominicus Mansi, Sacrorum Conciliorum nova et amplissima collectio Tomus 23 (Venice 1779), p. 610.
- Trollope, 1876, p. 95.
- Trollope, Thomas Adolphus. 1876. The Papal Conclaves, as they were and as they are.
- Stephanus Baluzius [Étienne Baluze], Vitae Paparum Avinionensium 2 volumes (Paris: apud Franciscum Muguet 1693). (in Latin) "Secunda Vita Benedicti XII," 213-220. "Tertia Vita Benedicti XII," 219-225. "Quarta Vita Benedicti XII," 225-228. "Quinta Vita Benedicti XII," 229-244.
- Bernardus Guidonis, "Vita Joannis Papae XXII," in Ludovicus Antonius Muratori, Rerum Italicarum Scriptores Tomus Tertius (Milan 1723), 673-684. (in Latin)
- Francesco Gherardi Dragomanni (editor), Cronica di Giovanni Villani Tomo III (Firenze: Sansoni 1845).
- Theiner, Augustinus (Editor), Caesaris S. R. E. Cardinalis Baronii, Od. Raynaldi et Jac. Laderchii Annales Ecclesiastici Tomus Vigesimus Quartus 1313-1333 (Barri-Ducis: Ludovicus Guerin 1872); Tomus Vigesimus Quintus 1334-1355 (Barri-Ducis: Ludovicus Guerin 1872). (in Latin)
- L. Duhamel, "Un neveu de Jean XXII, Le cardinal Arnaud de Via," Bulletin monumental 5 serie, Tome 11 (Paris 1883) 401-421.
- Martin Souchon, Die Papstwahlen von Bonifaz VIII bis Urban VI (Braunschweig: Benno Goeritz 1888).
- Gianluca Ameri and Clario Di Fabio, Luca Fieschi: cardinale, collezionista, mecenate, 1300-1336 (Cinisello Balsamo (Milano) : Silvana, 2011).
- Bernard Guillemain, "Benedetto XII," Dizionario dei Papi (2000). (in Italian)
- Sede Vacante and Conclave of 1334 (Dr. J.P. Adams).