|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2012)|
Palaivananathar Sivan Koil
|Elevation||22 m (72 ft)|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
Papanasam is a panchayat town in Thanjavur district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. The town is 25 km from Tanjore and 15 km from Kumbakonam. There are 4 rivers named Cauvery, Thirumalairajan, Arasalaru and KudaMurutti.
The name of the town literally means "Destruction of Sins" in the Tamil language.
|Climate data for Papanasam (altitude: 37m)|
|Average high °C (°F)||29.3
|Daily mean °C (°F)||25.3
|Average low °C (°F)||21.3
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||35
|Source: Climate-Data.org (altitude: 37m)|
|Climate data for Papanasam (altitude: 76m)|
|Average high °C (°F)||30
|Daily mean °C (°F)||26.1
|Average low °C (°F)||22.2
|Average precipitation mm (inches)||37
|Source: Climate-Data.org (altitude: 76m)|
As of 2001 India census, Papanasam had a population of 16,397. Males constitute 50% of the population and females 50%. Papanasam has an average literacy rate of 76%, higher than the national average of 59.5%: male literacy is 82%, and female literacy is 70%. In Papanasam, 11% of the population is under 6 years of age.
There are three temples; The Pallaivanatha Swamy temple constructed by the Chola King, Srinivasa Perumal Temple and the other is the 108 Sivalayam temples. There is also a Granary (storehouse of paddy) which measure 86 feet (26 m) in width and has a height of 36 feet (11 m) with a capacity of 3,000 kalam. The Nayaks between 1600–1634 constructed it. The State Archaeological Department declared it a monument.
This is also the birthplace of great people like Poet Papanasam Sivan and Sri Sri Ravishankar of Art Of Living.
There is also one more famous goddess near by papanasam is VADUCUCHI AMMAN Temple. Beemsingh and families use to visit this temple once in a year , and ceremonies will be going in a Big manner by serving food for all the village peoples. with full heart and full feet they step out of temple by getting goddess blessings.
You have to get down in papanasam to reach Thirukarugavur Garbaratchambigai temple. It's 7 km from papanasam.
- S.I(B.M.S)Higher Secondary School, Valuthoor.
- S.I(B.M.S)Nur Pri School,Valuthoor.
- Alif Matriculation School, Valuthoor.
- Saraswathi Ammaal Elementary School, Valuthoor.
- Al-Mubeen Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Ayyampet.
- Star-Lions Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Ayyampet.
- Pattukkottai Alagiri Matriculation Higher Secondary School
- Mani Matriculation Hr Sec School.
- The High School Umayalpuram.
- Panchayat Union Primary School.
- St.Mary's Higher Secondary School.
- Govt.Girls Higher Secondary School.
- Govt.Higher Secondary School.(Boys)
- St Bastian’s RC Middle School.
- St.Bastins Matriculation Higher Secondary School.
- Christ The King Nursery Primary School, Thirupalathurai.
- Tansri Ubaidulla Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Rajagiri.
- Kasmiya Higher Secondary School, Rajagiri.
- RDB National Matriculation School. Rajagiri.
- Crescent Matriculation Higher Secondary School, Pandaravadai.
- Soofi Nagar elementary school, Pandaravadai.
- Sakesphere Nur Pri School.
- RDB Matriculation School.
- Andrews Matriculation School
- Jack And Jill Matric School.
- Srividyasram Matriculation School, vadakurangaduthurai.
- RDB College of Arts and Science www.rdbcollege.com
The station is between Thanjavur and Kumbakonam where all passenger and express trains (except weekly express) are stop here. Three consecutive railway stations are in Papanasam Taluk which are Pandaravadai, Ayyampettai and Pasupathikoil.
Reservation Time at Papanasam Railway Station
|Morning||10:00 to 12:00|
|Evening||16:00 to 18:00|
|Train No.||Type||Arrival||Departure||to Reach|
- Government Hospitals, Papanasam
- Danvantri Hospitals, Papanasam
- Dr. T. Rajmohan MD DCH, Papanasam
- Dr. Neelakandan & Dr. Girish Hospitals, Papanasam
- Dr. Karunanithi Clinic, Papanasam
- Thilagavathi PolyClinic, Papanasam
- Pounpappa Nursing Home, Papanasam
- Dr. Alagappa Hospital, Papanasam
- Dr. Krishna Moorthy - Papanasam
- Dr. Anitha Consultant - Papanasam
- Sri Ramalingaswami temple - Papanasam, on the Papanasam – Thanjavur Road.
- 108 Sivalayam temple - Papanasam, on the Papanasam – Thanjavur Road.
- Srinivasa Perumal Temple - Papanasam.
- Palaivana Nathar temple - Thiruppalaithurai, Papanasam, on the Papanasam – Kumbakonam Road.
- St. Sebastian's Church - Roman Catholic Parish Shrine, Kumbakonam Diocese, Parish Priest - Rev. Fr. Peter Arokyadoss.
- St. Antony's Church - Roman Catholic Non-Parish Church.
- Big Mosque - Chinna Kadaitheru, Papanasam.
- Mohideen Andavar - Big Mosque - Small Street, Valoothoor.
- Madharsha - Masjid - Main Road - Valoothoor.
- Halima - Masjid - Main Road - Hajiyar St, Valoothoor.
muhaideen andavarhal (thaqwa masjid) pallivasal pasupathi kovil (north)
Holy places around Papanasam
- Kabisthalam – Gajendra Varadan Temple - 4 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam – Thiruvaiyaru Road.
- Nalloor – Kalyana Sundareswarar Temple - 4 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Kumbakonam Road via Vazhapazhakadai.
- Thiruvalanchuzhi – Karpaga Natheswarar Temple - 7 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Kumbakonam Road .
- Thirukkarugavoor – Karparatchambigai Temple - 7 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Saliyamangalam Road.
- Swamimalai – Swaminatha Swami (one of the six houses of Lord.Muruga) - 8 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Kumbakonam Road via Thiruvalanchuzhi.
- Avoor – Pasupatheeswarar Temple - 8 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Kumbakonam Road via Patteeswaram.
- Thiruvaigavoor – Vilvavaneswarar Temple - 8 km from Papanasam- mini buses every half hour.
- Patteeswaram – Dhenupureeswarar Temple - 10 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Kumbakonam Road via Avoor.
- Soundhara Raja Perumal Kovil – Sundaraperumalkovil ta:சுந்தரபெருமாள் கோவில் - 4 km from Papanasam – town buses and private buses available.
- Valangaiman- Mariamman Temple - 10 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Kumbakonam Road via Nalloor.
- Darasuram – Airavadeswarar Temple - 12 km from Papanasam, on the Papanasam-Kumbakonam Road.
- Karupoor – Akillandasweery Temple - 2 km from Papanasam, on the Kabisthalam-Thiruvaiyaru Road (near Sarukkai village).
- Thanjavur- Peruvudaiyar Temple- The Big Temple- 26 km from Papanasam.
- Thiruppalaithurai- Palaivananathar Temple — one kilometre from Papanasam.
- Valoothoor- Hajrath As Saihu Mohamed Valiullah Darha — Seven kilometre from Papanasam.
- nayakarpettai village-five kilometer from papanasam
- Composer, Sivan was also known as Tamil Thyagayya. Using a classical South Indian base, Sivan created numerous hits popularised by M.K.Thyagaraja Bhagavathar and MS Subbulakshmi.
- U.V.Swaminatha Iyer, a great Tamil scholar and researcher, who brought many classical Tamil literature works to light hailed from Uthamadhanapuram, a village near Papanasam.
- The Late Thiru.G.K. Moopanar, Senior leader of Indian National Congress, parliamentarian, philanthropist, patron of art and music.
- Late Thiru. N.Venkata Raghavan, Madras High Court Advocate - A devoted legal professional who has advised numerous organizations; written columns; delivered speeches in various platforms with regard to empowering the weaker sections of the society.
- Sri Sri Ravishankar – A divine leader who is famous for conducting 'Art of Living' courses all over the world.
- Umayalpuram Shri K. Sivaraman, world-renowned Mirudangam Mastero hails from a small village Umayalpuram which is near Papanasam
- Late Janaki (1923 – May 19, 1996) who was the wife of Ex. Chief minister of Tamil Nadu. Sri Papanasam sivan had an elder brother Rajagopal Iyer whose daughter V. N. Janaki was an actress and wife of former Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu. She was born to Rajagopal Iyer and Narayani Amma in the town of Vaikom in Kerala State. Her father's younger brother was Papanasam Sivan. She was a successful actress and starred in more than 25 movies including Mohini, Raja Mukthi, Velaikaari, Aiyiram Thalaivangiya Aboorva Chintamani, Devaki and Marudhanaattu Ilavarasi. She starred opposite M. G. Ramachandran in many films whom she later married
Composer Papanasam Sivan
Thamizh Thatha U.V.Swaminatha Iyer
Art of Living Sri Sri Ravishankar
- "Climate: Papanasam (altitude: 37m) - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Climate: Papanasam (altitude: 76m) - Climate graph, Temperature graph, Climate table". Climate-Data.org. Retrieved 2013-12-29.
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- "List of Parliamentary and Assembly Constituencies" (PDF). Tamil Nadu. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2008-10-12.
- Village of Papanasam Under construction
- Village of Valoothoor
- Village of Rajaghiri
- Village of Pandaravai
- MSN Map
- Facebook Page of Papanasam
- RDB College