According to the 2011 census, the taluk of Papanasam had a population of 272,871 with 133,814 males and 139,057 females. This was an increase of 07% from the 2001 total of 255,093. There were 1039 women for every 1000 men, up from 1027 per 1000 males in 2001. The taluk had a literacy rate of 72.72, up from 72.48% in 2001. Child population in the age group below 6 was 13,410 males and 12,682 females.
Towns and villages
There are two panchayat towns in the taluk, Ayyampettai and the administrative headquarters, Papanasam. In 2011, there were thirty-four listed panchayat villages in Papanasam taluk, which have superintending control over more than seventy other viilages. Tamil Nadu lists 120 revenue villages in Papanasam tauk.
- "Provisional Population Totals - Tamil Nadu-Census 2011" (PDF). Census Tamil Nadu. Retrieved 4 July 2013.
- "Primary Census Abstract - Census 2001". Directorate of Census Operations-Tamil Nadu.[dead link]
- "Thajavur: Papanasam block: Panchayat villages". GIS Division, Government of Tamil Nadu. 2011. Archived from the original on 23 July 2014.
- "Reports of National Panchayat Directory: Village Panchayat Names of Papanasam, Thanjavur, Tamil Nadu". Ministry of Panchayati Raj, Government of India. Archived from the original on 23 July 2014.
- "2001 Census of India: List of Villages by Tehsil: Tamil Nadu" (PDF). Registrar General & Census Commissioner, India. pp. 210–212. Archived (PDF) from the original on 13 November 2013.
- "Thanjavur: Papanasam Taluk: Revenue villages". GIS Division, Government of Tamil Nadu. Archived from the original on 16 April 2009.