November 2014 "Break the Internet" cover featuring Kim Kardashian
|Categories||Fashion, music, pop culture, art|
|Frequency||4 per year|
|Founder||Kim Hastreiter and David Hershkovits|
|Based in||New York City|
Paper, stylized as PAPER, is a New York City-based independent magazine focusing on fashion, popular culture, nightlife, music, art and film. Past cover models include Kim Kardashian, Demi Lovato, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Prince, CL, and Jennifer Lopez.
Paper was founded and launched in 1984 by editors Kim Hastreiter and David Hershkovits (with Lucy Sisman and Richard Weigand) as a black and white 16-page fold-out. Production was done in the offices of The New York Times. The magazine has since evolved into a quarterly print and digital magazine.
"Break The Internet"
In November 2014, Kim Kardashian was the cover star of the “Break the Internet” issue. Kardashian was interviewed by Paper contributor Amanda Fortini for the spread "No Filter: An Afternoon with Kim Kardashian". The photos for the issue were taken by Jean–Paul Goude. The shoot was a re-creation of Goude's "Champagne Incident", a series of photographs from his 1982 book Jungle Fever. The cover photo, as well as the rest, feature a fully nude Kardashian.
Since the story was published, it has gotten 34,147,700 unique page-views, which is more than double the number of page-views Paper normally receives annually.
In March 2017, Rihanna covered Paper Magazine for the "#BreakTheRules" Issue. Rihanna was styled by Shannon Stokes and Farren Fucci who wanted Rihanna to look like a "high fashion clerk in a bodega of the future". The shoot was photographed by Sebastian Faena.
Paper Communications also owns ExtraExtra, a marketing, event planning, and production company.
- Gaffney, Adrienne (January 18, 2014). "'J.Lo of India' Draws a Crowd Downtown". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Chantal Fernandez (8 November 2017). "Paper Magazine". BusinessOfFashion.com.
- "No Filter: An Afternoon With Kim Kardashian". Paper. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "These Are the Original Jean-Paul Goude Images That Inspired Kim Kardashian's Paper Magazine Cover". Complex. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "The 10 Most Popular Stories of the Year on Papermag.com". Paper. Retrieved September 25, 2015.
- "RIHANNA! The Superstar Graces Our March Cover". papermag.com. 3 March 2017.