Winter 2010 cover featuring Paz de la Huerta
|Editor||Mickey Boardman David Hershkovits Kim Hastreiter|
|Categories||Fashion, music, pop culture, art|
|Frequency||6 per year|
|Founder||Kim Hastreiter and David Hershkovits|
|Based in||New York City|
Paper is a New York City-based independent magazine focusing on fashion, pop culture, nightlife, music, art and film. Past cover models include Kim Kardashian, Katy Perry, Miley Cyrus, Prince, Fergie, Mariah Carey, Paz de la Huerta (featured right) and The Scissor Sisters. In 2009 for its 25th anniversary, Paper had five different covers featuring 25 25-year-olds such as Taylor Hanson and Kid Cudi. It also held an anniversary party at the New York Public Library with performances by artists Liza Minnelli, Queen Latifah, and The Virgins.
Paper was founded and launched in 1984 by editors Kim Hastreiter and David Hershkovits (with Lucy Sisman and Richard Weigand) as a black and white 16-page fold-out (production was done in the offices of The New York Times) focusing on pop culture. The magazine evolved into an 8-inch by 10-inch format and eventually into a glossy magazine. Along with the magazine there is also a website with articles, photos, blogs, and interviews. The website also features PaperTV, which showcases musicians, behind the scenes footage and party clips.
PAPER Communications also owns ExtraExtra, a marketing, event planning, and production company.
November 2014 Kim Kardashian cover
In November 2014, Paper had Kim Kardashian pose partly nude for the cover and also included photos of Kardashian in various states of undress in the magazine, culminating in a completely nude photo. The hashtag #BreakTheInternet was used for the incident, referring to the idea that so many people would flock to Paper to see the photos that the behavior of the Internet as a whole would change. The photos sparked discussion across the Internet.
- Gaffney, Adrienne (January 18, 2014). "'J.Lo of India' Draws a Crowd Downtown". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved June 1, 2015.
- Goude, Jean-Paul (photographer); Fortini, Amanda (text) (November 2014). "NO FILTER: An Afternoon With Kim Kardashian". Paper. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- "Break The Internet". Paper. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Bayley, Leanne (December 5, 2014). "Kim Kardashian attends the launch of THAT magazine". Glamour. UK. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- "Kim Kardashian Nearly Broke The Internet… Well, Paper Magazine's Internet!". PerezHilton.com. November 17, 2014. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Bluestone, Gabrielle (November 12, 2014). "Kim Kardashian's Entire Body Is Naked in These Paper Mag Photos". Gawker. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- McRady, Rachel (January 5, 2012). "Elders React to Kim Kardashian's Nude Paper Magazine Cover: Watch Now!". Us Weekly. Retrieved January 22, 2015.
- Maresca, Rachel (November 18, 2014). "Kim Kardashian addresses decision to go nude in Paper magazine: 'I love the photos, I did it for me'". Daily News (New York). Retrieved January 22, 2015.
|This lifestyle magazine or journal–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.
See tips for writing articles about magazines. Further suggestions might be found on the article's talk page.