Paper Aeroplanes performing at The Junction 2, Cambridge in May 2013
|Origin||Milford Haven, Wales|
|Labels||My First Records|
Paper Aeroplanes are an alternative pop band from West Wales formed around 2009, although both members have played together since 2005. Their fanbase has been built up around early years gigging in Cardiff and UK wide after extensive touring.
Formerly part of Cardiff-based band Halflight, Sarah Howells and Richard Llewellyn from Pembrokeshire and Ceredigion respectively, make music that has been compared to Fleetwood Mac, Suzanne Vega, The Sundays, Marika Hackman and Laura Marling. The BBC described them as "a west coast, easy-riding, folkish indie with a pop sensibility", 31 May 2010.
Their album The Day We Ran into the Sea, which was released in 2010, was described by the BBC's Adam Walton as "'pop' music: brilliantly crafted and stoked from a bruised heart's embers". BBC Radio Wales described it as "the finest radio album to come out of Wales since Rockferry". Their 2011 album We Are Ghosts received a host of reviews and saw The Guardian describe them as "disarming, breezy pop that's tinged with melancholy". Paul Kerr, reviewing their 2011 EP A Comfortable Sleep for Fourohfive 405 said "Paper Aeroplanes are an oasis of gravity in a cultural desert of frivolity, of emotion in a cold hearted world."
In 2012, the band performed at Hay Festival. August 2012 saw several songs soundtracking an episode of BBC3's TV Series Lip Service. Their third album, Little Letters, was released on Navigator Records and saw the band reach number 28 in the UK Alternative Chart.
The band have played live on BBC Radio Wales several times and featured on Bob Harris's BBC Radio 2 show, being interviewed by Harris and performing a live session. They have also recorded a live video session for the BBC. BBC Radio Wales are big supporters of the band making them Artist of the Week several times, most recently in May 2015 with single, "Good Love Lives On".
The band have toured the UK and Germany for several years building a live following. They sold out London's Union Chapel in November 2014. They also played at The New Adelphi Club, Hull, East Yorkshire in January that year.
The album JOY was released on 8 April 2015, and saw tracks featured on BBC Radio's 1 and 2 as well as a host of German stations such as NDR2 and Radio Eins.
In April 2015, Paper Aeroplanes played their debut SXSW show playing several shows most notably at British Music Embassy at Latitude 60.
- The Day We Ran into the Sea (2010), My First Records
- We Are Ghosts (March 2011)
- Little Letters (May 2013)
- JOY (April 2015)
- Lifelight EP (2010), My First Records
- A Comfortable Sleep EP – 4 tracks (2011)
- Time to Be EP – 6 tracks (2012)
- Circus EP – 5 tracks (2014)
- "Paper Aeroplanes", BBC, 24 February 2010,
- Walton, Adam (2009) "Review: Paper Aeroplanes – The Day We Ran Into The Sea", BBC, 27 November 2009. Retrieved 27 August 2010
- "Paper Aeroplanes on flight path to Llanhilleth", South Wales Argus, 4 June 2010. Retrieved 27 August 2010
- Williams, Nathan (2010) "Paper Aeroplanes quietly making waves", The Guardian
- Paul Kerr (23 September 2011). "Paper Aeroplanes – A Comfortable Sleep [EP]". The 405. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- "Paper Aeroplanes". Hay Festival. 4 June 2012. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "'Lip Service' band Paper Aeroplanes touring the UK /". Whensallymetsally.co.uk. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Official Independent Albums Chart Top 50 | Official Charts Company". Officialcharts.com. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Paper Aeroplanes band interview", BBC, 10 June 2010. Retrieved 27 August 2010
- "BBC Radio 2 Schedule for Saturday 5 June 2010", BBC. Retrieved 27 August 2010
- "Live Video Sessions: Paper Aeroplanes Archived 7 February 2011 at the Wayback Machine", BBC. Retrieved 27 August 2010
- "BBC Blogs – Wales – Red Nose Day, Rugby, and Lulu Live". BBC. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Paper Aeroplanes | SXSW 2015 Event Schedule". Schedule.sxsw.com. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- "Cuckoo presents Paper Aeroplanes @ The Adelphi". Facebook. Retrieved 19 February 2016.[non-primary source needed][non-primary source needed]
- "Paper Aeroplanes – Official Band Website". Paperaeroplanesmusic.com. Retrieved 19 February 2016.
- Wright, Jade (9 November 2012). "Jade Wright recommends Paper Aeroplanes". Liverpool Echo. Retrieved 27 November 2012.