|Single by Jennifer Lopez|
|from the album Love?|
|Released||September 13, 2011|
|Jennifer Lopez singles chronology|
"Papi" is a song recorded by American entertainer Jennifer Lopez for her seventh studio album Love? (2011). The Latin-flavored dance song was written by RedOne, AJ Junior, BeatGeek, Teddy Sky, Bilal Hajji and Jimmy Joker, and produced by RedOne, BeatGeak and Jimmy Joker. The lyrical content of the song revolves around Lopez's love to dance for her man. The song was due to be released as a promotional single to help promote the album on April 19, 2011, but the song was unlocked and released on April 17, 2011, through a campaign on Lopez's Facebook page. "Papi" received praise from music critics, stating that it was one of the highlights from Love?.
"Papi" received a full commercial release as Love?'s third single in September and October 2011. On October 27, 2011 "Papi" became Lopez's 11th number one single on the Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs Chart. A music video was released for the song and it was directed by Paul Hunter, who had previously worked with her for videos including her 2000 hit "Love Don't Cost a Thing". The plot of the video involves Jennifer Lopez eating a mysterious love cookie, and the next morning a mob of men go crazy for her, chasing her all over the city. The song was also used as the opening number of Miss Earth 2011.
- 1 Music and lyrics
- 2 Critical reception
- 3 Chart performance
- 4 Music video
- 5 Live performances
- 6 Track listing
- 7 Credits and personnel
- 8 Charts
- 9 Certifications
- 10 Release history
- 11 See also
- 12 References
- 13 External links
Music and lyrics
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Papi" is a Latin and electro-flavored, up-tempo dance song written by Bilal Hajji, AJ Junior and Teddy Sky, co-written and produced by BeatGeek, RedOne and Jimmy Joker. The melody is driven by "beating" drums and "pounding" synths. According to Rick Florino, from Artistdirect.com, the song also uses elements of "propulsive house" music. The lyrics center around Lopez's love for dancing for her man. Florino described the song's middle-8 breakdown as "a bass thump and seductive Spanish lines [that] pulsate in tandem before one final crescendo of the chorus." On the line "My rock is shinin’ bright / Even if he ain’t by my side / He makes sure that I glow / I make sure everybody knows," J. Lo sings of her man, who is not around the club but whose presence is sparkling on her finger. It was scheduled for release on April 19, 2011 as the third of four promotional singles. "I'm Into You" was subsequently confirmed as the album's second single. The track was released three days early, after a preview was posted on Lopez's "Like for Love?" campaign, whereby the Love?'s three promotional singles were released early if enough fans "liked" them through Facebook. The opening portion of the song is used in the dance-breakdown present in the music video for Lopez's second Love? single, "I'm Into You" (2011).
Staff from entertainment website Idolator said "While this track, like 'On the Floor,' doesn't bring anything new to the dance party table, that isn't really a problem. This track is totally club-ready and there's no reason why it shouldn't play just as well as 'On the Floor'." Joe Guerra from The Houston Chronicle agreed calling the song one of Love?'s "best moments." Rick Florino, from Artistdirect.com, gave the song a positive review, saying that on the song, "Lopez [is] at her finest". In his review, Florino praised Lopez's voice, noting that it "pulsates with a fresh, fiery, and focused energy" while also commenting that "her unique delivery brandishes traditional Latin flare, [that] captivates listeners hypnotically." He ended by praising the song's memorable chorus and "majestic hook." Monica Herrera wrote favorably for Billboard that: "The pro-monogamy house trend revived by RiRi's "Only Girl," still going strong here. Fun, harmless, & strictly for Jenny's Latina fans." "Pop Crush"'s Amanda Hensel rated it four-and-a-half stars out of five and wrote that: "Papi is spicy hot — just like the Puerto Rican, Bronx-raised herself." [...] "It's a perfect fit for any club packed full of dance-hungry people, and all-in-all, exemplifies what we love about the singer/actress."
BBC Music's Alex McApherson wrote that: "The woman who gave us the supreme millennial house of Waiting for Tonight will know her way around On the Floor and Papi, both apparent distillations of the trashy Miami house aesthetic that dominates pop these days." Entertainment Weekly's Adam Markovitz wrote that the album is "a harmless collection of prefab dance pop with just enough hints of Latin spice to remind listeners of Jenny's from-the-block past (see: the stoop-party-ready Papi) without losing sight of her Bel Air present." IGN Music's Chad Grischow positively wrote that "The album is at its best when the pace is cranked up on the club bangers, with the thrusting synth and beat assault of "Papi" finding Lopez singing about dancing for her man even if he is not right next to her." Digital Spy's Robert Copsey wrote that "Papi', 'Invading my Mind' and 'Hypnotico' are nothing we haven't heard before, but she carries it off with her unrivalled glamour and effortless sophistication."
For the week ending April 27, 2011, "Papi" debuted on the US Billboard Hot 100 at number 99. Ultimately, the single peaked at number 96 and spent three weeks on the chart, becoming her lowest-peaking entry on the Hot 100. "Papi" experienced more success on the US Billboard Pop Songs chart, where it peaked at number 33.
The music video was shot in August 2011 in Downtown Los Angeles, California. It was directed by Paul Hunter, who previously directed her music videos for "If You Had My Love" (1999) and "Love Don't Cost a Thing" (2001). A portion of the video was shown on September 16, 2011 on Good Morning America. The full video premiered on September 19, 2011 on VEVO. The music video was edited into a 31 second commercial, promoting the Fiat 500, the car in which Lopez is driving in the music video.
The music video begins with the words "Love? Happens". The video continues with Lopez holding her Blackberry Bold 9900 and chatting with her apartment mail attendant Lisa. They talk about Lopez's love interest; She is disappointed because her lover, who is a colonel in the United States Air Force; has not returned from deployment yet. Lisa then hands over the mail and offers her a cookie which she claims will bring her man back to her. Lisa is careful to tell her to take only a small bite owing to the strength of the cookie, but Lopez accidentally takes too big a bite. The following morning the captivating spell of the cookie takes hold and as Lopez leaves her apartment building she attracts the attention of a man who steals a rose to present to her, only to be tackled by another man. As she walks on through the streets of the city she draws the affection of an ever-increasing number of men, including a gardener, a businessman and a motorcyclist, who fight among one another while Lopez walks on oblivious to the chaos behind her. Lopez finally reaches her car (a Fiat 500) but is swarmed by the group of men who chase her with gifts of flowers and a puppy. The mob eventually outmaneuvers and corners Lopez, forcing her from the car. They proceed to dance around her in a complex display of choreography before lifting her from the ground. Her lover then emerges from a bus and rescues her and the crowd quickly dissipates, leaving the pair to drive away in Lopez's car. The video ends with a shocked Lopez trying in vain to explain to her lover how "The craziest thing just happened,".
Idolator's Becky Bain perceived that the clip was "clearly a rejected concept" for a "Lopez-starring romantic comedy", while comparing it to her films The Wedding Planner, The Back-Up Plan and Maid in Manhattan. Bain noted that in the music video, Lopez "attempts to do two things with her new video: first, make herself more rateable by a creating comedic, tongue-in-cheek clip. And secondly, show people how extremely desirable she is by having hundreds of men literally fling themselves off buildings and crash through breakaway glass to win her affections." Billboard's Jason Lipshut was unsure about the storyline, but praised the "cheeky choreography" as a "charming nod to Lopez's past videos." The Huffington Post gave the music video a positive review: "Ms. Lopez has still got it – "Jenny from the Block" breaks into a signature group dance number and kills it!"
Lopez first performed the song at the iHeart Radio Festival on September 24, 2011. She wore a red-fringed mini-dress. Lopez had previously announced the festival herself, which included Lady Gaga, Coldplay, Alicia Keys and Bruno Mars among several others. She stated: "It's going to be this amazing concert ... to launch the new iHeartRadio, where you can kind of customize your own radio stations [sic] So, it's pretty exciting. I'm glad to be doing it." The following month on October 22, she performed the song during her headlining concert at Mohegan Sun to celebrate its 15th anniversary. Lopez performed "Papi" at the 39th American Music Awards on November 20. It was a part of a medley, along with "Until It Beats No More" and "On the Floor", which Pitbull assisted her with. The performance of the song was almost a replica of the video; a Fiat car which she endorsed was included on stage. She was criticized for using the Fiat as part of her performance. The costume she wore, which consisted of a near-nude body suit with glitter covering necessary places, has been said to resemble the outfit Britney Spears wore in the music video for "Toxic" (2004). Additionally, "Papi" was included on the set list for her 2012 Dance Again World Tour.
- Digital download
- "Papi" — 3:40
- Digital download (Remixes)
- "Papi" (Rosabel Radio Edit) — 3:26
- "Papi" (Mixin Marc & Tony Svedja Radio) — 3:40
- "Papi" (R3hab Radio) – 3:37
- "Papi" (It's the DJ Kue Radio Mix!) — 3:53
- "Papi" (Rosabel Vocal Club Mix) — 7:29
- "Papi" (Mixin Marc & Tony Svedja Extended) — 6:33
- "Papi" (R3hab Club) — 4:53
- "Papi" (It's the DJ Kue Extended Mix!) — 5:34
- "Papi" (Rosabel Attitude Dub) — 7:56
- "Papi" (Mixin Marc & Tony Svedja Dub) — 6:17
- "Papi" (R3hab Instrumental) — 4:53
- "Papi" (It's the DJ Kue Instrumental!) — 5:35
Credits and personnel
|Canada (Music Canada)||Gold||40,000^|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|France||April 18, 2011||Digital download||Universal|
|United States||April 19, 2011||Island|
|September 13, 2011||Digital download (Remixes)|
|September 26, 2011||Mainstream radio|
|Spain||October 19, 2011||Digital download (Remixes)||Universal|
|Italy||November 15, 2011|
|Germany||November 25, 2011|
- "New Music: Jennifer Lopez – Papi". Rap-up.com (Rap-Up). April 15, 2011. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Markovitz, Adam (April 27, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez – Love? (album review)". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved May 28, 2011.
- "Jennifer Lopez "Papi" Single Review — 5 out of 5 Stars - ARTISTdirect News". Artistdirect.com. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Chad Grischow (February 16, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez: Love? Review - Music Review at IGN". Uk.music.ign.com. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Hensel, Amanda (July 7, 2011). "JENNIFER LOPEZ, 'PAPI' – SONG REVIEW". Pop Crush. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- "Im Into You" featuring Lil Wayne, release date: http://www.webcitation.org/5yHldIokk?url=http://www.jenniferlopezonline.com/news/default.aspx?nid%3D9079
- "Papi," release date: http://www.webcitation.org/5yHlYwIAi?url=http://www.jenniferlopezonline.com/news/default.aspx?nid%3D9174
- "(What Is) Love?," release date: http://www.webcitation.org/5yHlqdGCj
- Wete, Brad (March 30, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez caught up in her love's spell on new single 'I'm Into You'". Music-mix.ew.com (Entertainment Weekly / CNN). Retrieved April 2, 2011.
- "Hottest Celeb website :: Breaking News :: Ooo, Jennifer Lopez's new song Papi". STAR Magazine. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Masley, Ed (April 20, 2011). "J.Lo's 'Idol'-driven comeback continues with 'Papi'". Azcentral.com. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Dinh, James (May 2, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez Gets Exotic In 'I'm Into You' Video - Music, Celebrity, Artist News". MTV. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- "Jennifer Lopez Dances For Her "Papi" In New 'Love?' Track". Idolator. Buzzmedia. April 16, 2011. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Guerra, Joey (May 2, 2011). "Lopez ups her diva status with Love?". Houston Chronicle. Hearst Corporation. Retrieved May 6, 2011.
- Herrera, Monica (May 13, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez 'Love?': Track-by-Track Review". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- Alex Macpherson (May 3, 2011). "BBC – Music – Review of Jennifer Lopez – Love?". BBC Online. BBC. Retrieved May 3, 2011.
- Grischow, Chad (May 3, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez: Love? Review - Uneven album hits its stride on the dance floor, but stumbles off.". IGN. Ziff Davis. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- Robert Copsey (May 4, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez: 'Love?' – Music Album Review". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved May 3, 2011.
- Trust, Gary (April 27, 2011). "Katy Perry's 'E.T.' Returns To No. 1 On Hot 100". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "Jennifer Lopez Music News & Info". Billboard.com. Archived from the original on May 6, 2011. Retrieved April 29, 2011.
- "Jennifer Lopez Album & Song Chart History". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved August 15, 2013.
- "Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- yosprodf blogged: my title. "Jennifer Lopez Wows in Skin-Tight Leather Pants - omg! news on Yahoo!". Omg.yahoo.com. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- "Jennifer Lopez Dances in the Streets in 'Papi' Video". Rap-Up. Devine Lazerine. August 21, 2011. Retrieved August 21, 2011.
- "Ryan's Recap - On-Air With Ryan Seacrest". Ryan.kiisfm.com. September 14, 2011. Retrieved September 30, 2011.
- Dinh, James (September 19, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez Causes Man Frenzy In 'Papi' Video". MTV. MTV Networks. Retrieved September 20, 2011.
- Bain, Becky (September 19, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez's "Papi" Video: Basically Another J.Lo Romantic Comedy". Idolator. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Lipshut, Jason (September 19, 2011). "http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/viral-videos/467383/jennifer-lopezs-papi-video-magic-cookies-product-placements". Billboard. Retrieved October 18, 2011. External link in
- "Jennifer Lopez Debuts 'Papi' Music Video, Gets Men Riled Up". Huffington Post. September 19, 2011. Retrieved October 18, 2011.
- Loren1 (September 27, 2011). "Jennifer Lopez Rocks To Papi At iHeart Radio Festival | Loren's World". Lorensworld.com. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- Sep 19, 2012 6:15 PM by Meagan Morris (September 19, 2012). "iHeartRadio Music Festival 2011: A look back". Sheknows.com. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- "Concert Review: Jennifer Lopez at Mohegan Sun - Hartford Courant". Articles.courant.com. October 23, 2011. Retrieved March 24, 2012.
- Tuttle, Brad (November 21, 2011). "'Shameless' Jennifer Lopez Drives Fiat on Stage at American Music Awards: Most Brazen Product Placement Ever? | TIME.com". Business.time.com. Retrieved April 21, 2013.
- Fitzmaurice, Sarah (November 22, 2011). "Copycat style: Jennifer Lopez, 42, channels her inner Britney Spears in sheer bodysuit at AMAs... before getting cosy with 24-year-old toyboy at after party". Daily Mail. London.
- Sources for set list:
- "Jennifer Lopez divulga setlist dos shows no Brasil" [Jennifer Lopez announces the set list for shows in Brazil]. Diário do Nordeste (in Portuguese). Sistema Verdes Mares. June 15, 2012. Archived from the original on July 1, 2012. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- Palma, Louise (June 28, 2012). "Jennifer Lopez apresenta setlist de hits e anima público carioca" [Jennifer Lopez has set list of hits and encourages public carioca]. Multishow (in Portuguese). Globosat. Archived from the original on July 1, 2012. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- "Jennifer López derrocha sensualidad en Santiago de Chile" [Jennifer Lopez exudes sensuality in Santiago, Chile]. El Universal (in Spanish). June 20, 2012. Archived from the original on July 1, 2012. Retrieved July 1, 2012.
- Love? (Booklet). Jennifer Lopez. Los Angeles, CA: Island Records, a division of UMG Recordings. 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez – Papi" (in Dutch). Ultratip. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Ultratop.be – Jennifer Lopez – Papi" (in French). Ultratip. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "10.10.2011–16.10.2011 (Airplay Top 5)". Bulgarian Association of the Music Producers. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- "Brasil Hot 100 Airplay". Billboard Brasil (Brasil: bpp) (2): 100. January 2012.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Canadian Hot 100 for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201147 into search. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez: Papi" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- Steffen Hung. "Jennifer Lopez — Papi". lescharts.com. Retrieved October 5, 2011.
- FIMI. "Italian Chart: Jennifer Lopez — Papi". www.fimi.it.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Papi Media Forest". Israeli Airplay Chart. Media Forest. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Jennifer Lopez – Papi" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Top 50 Polish Dance Chart". Polish Music Charts (in Polish). ZPAV. November 16, 2011. Retrieved November 30, 2011.
- "Top 5 Airplay TV". Polish Video Chart. ZPAV. Retrieved 2017-02-05.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-10-08". Scottish Singles Top 40. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201142 into search. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Gaon Download Chart". Gaon Chart. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Papi" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Swisscharts.com – Jennifer Lopez – Papi". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-10-08" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-10-08" UK R&B Chart. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Jennifer Lopez – Chart history" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Jennifer Lopez. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Chart Highlights: Dev Dominates Dance/Club Play Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. October 10, 2011. Retrieved October 11, 2011.
- "Austriancharts.at – Jennifer Lopez – Papi" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved March 27, 2014.
- "Official Rumania chart". Retrieved January 31, 2012.
- "JLO is a gainer". Retrieved February 9, 2012.
- "Best of 2011: Dance/Club Songs (41–50)". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "TOP digital utworów - 2012". ZPAV. Retrieved March 22, 2013.
- "Canadian single certifications – Jennifer Lopez – Papi". Music Canada. Retrieved June 11, 2012.
- "Certifications of digital downloads — week 49" (PDF). FIMI. FIMI. Retrieved May 26, 2012.