|Gilberto "Papi" Oviedo|
Papi Oviedo (2015)
|Birth name||Gilberto Oviedo la Portilla|
February 9, 1938|
La Habana, Cuba
|Died||October 31, 2017(aged 79)|
Gilberto "Papi" Oviedo la Portilla (9 February 1938 – 31 October 2017) was a Cuban tres player. Papi, the son of musician Isaac Oviedo, started playing the tres when he was about 15. A veteran of many bands, Papi was the tres player in Elio Revé's band for 13 years. He has been on tour with Buena Vista Social Club exposing the son style to wider audiences.
Papi Oviedo was born Gilberto Oviedo La Portilla in 1938, son of tres player Isaac Oviedo (born 1902). Papi Oviedo began playing tres in 1952 and worked his way up through local bands to be the primary tres player for singer Orlando Contreras. Between 1957 and 1969, he was the featured tresero for Conjunto Tipico Habanero, Conjunto Chappottín and Estrellas de Chocolate. Between 1980 and 1995, he teamed up with Elio Revé in a re-formed version of charanga outfit Orquesta Revé. In 1995, Papi left Orquesta Revé to release his own solo LP Enceuento Entre Su Soneros.
- With Rubén González
- Chanchullo (2000)
- With Papa Noel
- Bana Congo (2002)
- Papi Oviedo Article at EcuRed website. Retrieved on 26 November 2015.
- Isaac Oviedo Article at EcuRed website. Retrieved on 26 November 2015.
- Orovio, Helio (2004). Cuban Music from A to Z. Bath, UK: Tumi. p. 158.
- The Rough Guide To Cuban Music, By Phillip Sweeney, Page 328, ISBN 1-85828-761-8
- Papa Noel and Papi Oviedo Bana Congo. Review by Maud Hand (2002), published at the BBC website. Retrieved on 26 November 2015.
Giro Radamés (2007). Diccionario enciclopédico de la música en Cuba. La Habana