Papias Malimba Musafiri
|Papias Malimba Musafiri|
University of Dar es Salaam|
(Bachelor of Commerce)
Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
(Master of Business Administration)
(Doctor of Philosophy)
|Occupation||Academic, researcher and politician|
|Years active||2001 — present|
|Known for||Academics, research and public service|
|Title||Cabinet Minister of Education in the Cabinet of Rwanda|
Papias Malimba Musafiri, is a Rwandan academic, researcher and politician, who has served as the Minister of Education in the Rwandan cabinet, since 25 June 2015, replacing Prof. Silas Lwakabamba.
Background and education
He holds a Bachelor of Commerce, obtained from the University of Dar es Salaam. He also holds a Master of Business Administration, obtained from the Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee. His Doctor of Philosophy in management was awarded by VIT University, also in India.
Circa 2001, Musafiri has served in various roles in academia, research and as a consultant. Prior to the establishment of the University of Rwanda (UR) in 2013, he held senior management positions in several institutions that today comprise the UR. He has served as (a) Director of Administration and Human Resources (b) Dean, Faculty of Management (c) Vice Rector Academics and (d) Acting Rector, in former institutions of higher education. Immediately prior to his appointment as education minister, he was the Principal of the College of Business and Economics (CBE) of the University of Rwanda.
In the cabinet reshuffle of 5 October 2016, and that of 31 August 2017, he was retained in cabinet and he retained the education portfolio. In his role as minister of education, he announced the termination and expulsion of Ugandan teachers from Rwanda, following the expiry of their teaching contracts.
- Times Reporter (25 June 2015). "Musafiri appointed as new Education minister". New Times (Rwanda). Kigali. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- BLoC (8 July 2015). "VIT University alumni appointed as Rwanda's Education Minister". Business Line on Campus (BLoC). Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- GOR (5 October 2016). "Communique: President Kagame reshuffles the Cabinet, appoints new governors". Kigali: Government of Rwanda (GOR). Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- Kimenyi, Felly (31 August 2017). "Rwanda gets new Cabinet, who is in?". New Times (Rwanda). Kigali. Retrieved 17 September 2017.
- Spear Team (29 March 2017). "Rwanda responds to Ugandan Teachers dismissal says contracts expired 2015". Kigali: Thespearnews.com. Retrieved 17 September 2017.