Papoose performing during December 2013.
|Birth name||Shamele Mackie|
|Born||March 5, 1978|
|Origin||Bedford-Stuyvesant, Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States|
|Labels||Honor B4 Money Records, Streetsweepers (current)
|Associated acts||DJ Kayslay, Thug-A-Cation, DJ Clue?, Memphis Bleek, Ron Browz, Remy Ma|
Shamele Mackie (born March 5, 1978), better known by his stage name Papoose //, is an American rapper. After breaking into the rap game in 2005 with DJ Kayslay with the release of his song "Alphabetical Slaughter" he signed a $1.5 million contract with Jive Records. After his debut studio album, The Nacirema Dream was shelved, he cut ties with Jive. This resulted in him releasing over a dozen free mixtapes to keep himself popular. In 2012 he secured a deal with Fontana Distribution and released his debut album independently on March 26, 2013.
After an early record deal failed, he decided to produce and sell his own mixtapes, one of which he presented to DJ Kay Slay outside the offices of New York's Hot 97 after the latter's radio show there. This led to Kay Slay inviting Papoose onto the air, and, impressed by his rendition of "Alphabetical Slaughter", signing him to his Streetsweepers Entertainment label. He continued to release mixtapes at a prolific rate – over a dozen between 2004 and 2006 – and won the Justo Mixtape Award for Best Underground Artist in 2005.
August 24, 2006, his official website announced that he had signed with Jive Records in a deal worth $1.5 million. An album to be called The Nacirema Dream ("American" spelled backwards) was planned. However, in September 2007, Kay Slay revealed that he and Papoose had left Jive, commenting that they had "almost [become] victims of A&R hell." On 21 Gun Salute, Papoose said that he was able to keep the $1.5 million despite not releasing an album.
Since then he has released various mixtapes keeping his name out there with the most recent one being Most Hated Alive which was released December 4, 2012. His debut album The Nacirema Dream was scheduled to be released March 5, 2013. In promotion of the album he released "On Top of My Game" which features Mavado as a single on December 11, 2012. The music video premiered on 106 & Park on February 1, 2013. The release date was however pushed back another three weeks until March 26, 2013. Upon release the album received generally positive reviews from music critics and debuted at number 97 on the U.S. Billboard 200.
On June 2, 2013, Papoose "crashed" Hot 97's Summer Jam with the help of Top Dawg Entertainment, performing The Nacirema Dream's third single "Get At Me" with Ron Browz. However, following the release of "Control" where Lamar claims the title of "King of New York", Papoose took offense and dissed Kendrick Lamar with a remix to "Control". Lamar called Papoose's response comical and then reportedly threw shots back at him on the BET Hip Hop Awards TDE cypher. On October 4, 2013, Papoose responded saying he would be releasing another diss track soon. He also announced plans to release a new mixtape titled, Blackballed soon, and that he had already begun working on his second studio album. On November 4, 2013, he released Hoodie Season his first mixtape since his debut album. In 2014, Papoose began work on a music collaboration with international producer Swissivory and west coast rapper C-Tru on a track titled "How We Roll". The single was put into rotation on MTV September 16, 2014.
With the high profile release of his wife Remy Ma from New York State prison in 2014, there was much interest in the rap couple which led them to receive an offer to star in VH1s Love and Hiphop New York TV show. After agreeing to be part of the show due to receiving "an offer they couldn't refuse" the couple revealed publicly that they would be joining the rest of the cast for the 2015 season. 
In 2008, Papoose and his cousin James Phelps (stage name Young Purp) issued a statement saying that he and fellow rapper Remy Ma were to be married, but due to Ma's impending prison sentence of potentially up to 15–25 years, the couple had changed their plans and intended to marry in prison instead. Papoose planned to wed his fiancee while in prison, but the wedding was called off for one day after he allegedly attempted to smuggle a key into prison on their wedding day in May 2008. After the incident, Papoose married Ma the next day inside the courtroom right before sentencing and was barred from visiting her for six months. Since then, they had conjugal visits every six weeks until Remy Ma was released in 2014. Papoose also has a daughter named Dejanae Mackie and is of Liberian descent.
- Studio albums
- Papoose Bio. Last.fm. Retrieved on 2013-02-26.
- Golianopoulos, Thomas. "Papoose". Archived from the original on 2007-03-07. Retrieved 8 July 2012.
- Cordor, Cyril. "Papoose > Biography". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Erwin, Jack (2007-10-09). "Next Up: Papoose". XXL. Harris Publications. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Hip-Hop Connection, October 2006.
- Johnson, Dick (2007-09-21). "50 Cent Outsells Kanye West In Europe, Saigon Says He Was Set Up During Mobb Deep Fight, Jay-Z Drops Another One". sohh.com. Archived from the original on 2008-03-02. Retrieved 2008-03-08.
- Iandoli, Kathy. (2012-12-03) Mixtape Release Dates: Papoose, Master P, Red Cafe, Birdman | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales. HipHop DX. Retrieved on 2013-01-14.
- Papoose Tells Old Man Ebro He Deserves More Spins on HOT 97 + Tells Cipha Sounds, Rosenberg & K. Foxx That Prison Guards Spy When He And Remy Get It In [VIDEO]. Hot97.com (2012-12-13). Retrieved on 2013-01-14.
- iTunes – Music – On Top of My Game (feat. Mavado) – Single by Papoose. Itunes.apple.com (2012-12-11). Retrieved on 2013-02-26.
- Photo by papoosepapoose • Instagram. Instagram.com. Retrieved on 2013-02-26.
- Nacirema Dream: Papoose: Music. Amazon.com. Retrieved on 2013-02-26.
- "The most newsworthy item of Summer Jam ended up being an impromptu Papoose performance". Complex.com. 2013-09-02. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- Rys, Dan (2013-10-04). "Papoose On Kendrick Lamar's BET Cypher: "He'll Never Be Able To Shine My Shoes, Lyrically" – XXL". Xxlmag.com. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- Meara, Paul (2013-11-04). "Mixtape Release Dates: Lil' Kim, Troy Ave, Lecrae, Papoose | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-07-24.
- Swissivory | How We Roll feat. Papoose, C-Tru, Spits Nelson | Music Video | MTV, retrieved 2015-09-21
- "Remy Ma And Papoose Joins 'Love & Hip Hop: New York' Cast | Vibe". Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- "Remy Ma & Papoose Will Be Joining The Cast Of Love & Hip-Hop | The Source". thesource.com. Retrieved 2015-09-20.
- Rodriguez, Jayson. (2008-03-28) Papoose And Remy To Marry Next Month – In Prison – News Story | Music, Celebrity, Artist News | MTV News. Mtv.com. Retrieved on 2013-02-26.