|Born||Mwimbi Papy Abedi
June 30, 1978
Kinshasa, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of the Congo)
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st)|
Middleweight (2006–2011, 2013)
|Reach||74 in (190 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Team||Allstars Training Center
|Rank||Black belt in Judo
Purple belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Abedi was born in Kinshasa, Zaire (now Democratic Republic of the Congo), where he grew up. He was given the nickname "Makambo" by the elders, which in Lingala (the official language) means "trouble", because whenever there was a fight or trouble, he was the first at the scene. He later moved to France and Belgium, before moving to Sweden in 1997.
Mixed martial arts career
Abedi made his professional MMA debut in December 2006. He produced finishes in all but one of his fights, including five knockouts and two submissions.
At this point of his career a lot of major MMA media outlets described him as one of the best middleweights on the European circuit and predicted that he had potential for a great future in MMA.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Abedi made his UFC debut against former title challenger Thiago Alves on November 5, 2011 at UFC 138. Abedi was badly hurt by a straight right hand from Alves that knocked him down midway through the first round and After delivering a barrage of punches and elbows that cut Abedi open, Alves took Abedi's back and finished the fight via submission due to a rear naked choke, giving Abedi his first professional loss. Although Abedi was given credit for stepping up against a top 10-fighter in his UFC debut.
Abedi faced James Head on April 14, 2012 at UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva. Late in the opening round Head stunned Abedi with a short elbow from the clinch followed by a barrage of punches that knocked Abedi down, Head followed Papy to the mat and finished the fight with a rear naked choke.
Abedi was briefly linked to a bout with Rick Story on June 22, 2012 at UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida, replacing an injured Rich Attonito However, Abedi was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Brock Jardine.
Abedi next faced Dylan Andrews in a middleweight bout on August 28, 2013 at UFC Fight Night 27. Despite controlling and winning the first two rounds, Abedi lost via knockout in the third round. After the loss Abedi was subsequently released from the UFC.
After his run in the UFC, Abedi went back to fight in Sweden. He was expected to face Daniel Acácio for the Superior Challenge welterweight title on May 3, 2014 at Superior Challenge 10, but pulled out with an injury and was subsequently replaced by Alan Carlos.
Abedi is now expected to return, first expected at April 9, 2016 but later postpned, from what will be an over three year layoff, to face Bruno Carvalho in a middleweight bout on October 8, 2016 at Superior Challenge 14.
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|12 matches||9 wins||3 losses|
|Loss||9–3||Dylan Andrews||KO (punches)||UFC Fight Night: Condit vs. Kampmann 2||August 28, 2013||3||1:32||Indianapolis, Indiana, United States||Middleweight bout.|
|Win||9–2||Besam Yousef||Decision (split)||UFC on Fuel TV: Mousasi vs. Latifi||April 6, 2013||3||5:00||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||8–2||James Head||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC on Fuel TV: Gustafsson vs. Silva||April 14, 2012||1||4:33||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Loss||8–1||Thiago Alves||Submission (rear-naked choke)||UFC 138||November 5, 2011||1||3:32||Birmingham, England||Welterweight debut.|
|Win||8–0||Nathan Schouteren||Submission (guillotine choke)||Superior Challenge 6||October 29, 2010||1||3:22||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||7–0||Bohumil Lungrik||TKO (punches)||Hell Cage 5||March 28, 2010||1||2:53||Prague, Czech Republic|
|Win||6–0||Nelton Pontes||TKO (punches)||Bushido Challenge 1: War of the Warriors||December 13, 2009||1||3:17||Norwich, Norfolk, England|
|Win||5–0||Alan Carlos||TKO (punches)||Superior Challenge 3||May 30, 2009||2||1:56||Stockholm, Sweden|
|Win||4–0||Timur Akbulut||Submission (arm-triangle choke)||Fight Fiesta de Luxe: Unstoppable||April 5, 2008||1||N/A||Hollerich, Luxembourg|
|Win||3–0||Aldric Cassata||TKO (knees)||Chaos Fighting Championships 1||December 1, 2007||2||N/A||Derry, Northern Ireland|
|Win||2–0||Juha Kaki||Decision (unanimous)||Shooto Finland: Bloodbath||May 12, 2007||2||5:00||Vantaa, Finland|
|Win||1–0||Mikael Pastor||TKO (knee to the body & punches)||Travelfight Arena||December 16, 2006||2||2:24||Uppsala, Sweden|
- "2011 World MMA Middleweight scouting report #1 Papy Abedi". bloodyelbow.com. 2011-01-01.
- "2010: Top 10 undefeated European prospects". sherdog.com. 2010-07-31.
- "MMA - The 10 best fighters you've never heard of: Papy Abedi". bleacherreport.com. 2010-10-13.
- "Exklusivt: Papy "Makambo" Abedi skriver kontrakt med UFC / Exclusive: Papy "Makambo" Abedi signs with the UFC". MMANytt.se. Retrieved 2011-06-26.
- Martin, Damon. "Thiago Alves Back in Action at UFC 138 Against Swedish Newcomer Papy Abedi". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved July 20, 2011.
- Cavian, Bobby. "UFC offered a new fight to Papy Abedi right after his debut loss". studiomma.com. Retrieved November 6, 2011.
- "Papy Abedi vs. James Head Slated for UFC's Debut in Sweden". mmafighting.com. January 4, 2012. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- "Rick Story Gets New UFC on FX 4 Opponent". mmaweekly.com. May 8, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Papy Abedi replaces Rich Attonito meets Rick Story at UFC on FX 4". mmajunkie.com. 2012-05-08.
- "Rick Story Gets Third UFC on FX 4 Opponent". mmaweekly.com. May 30, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Injuries lead to Story-Jardine, Brown-Ramos, Gambino-Silver at UFC on FX 4". mmajunkie.com. 2012-05-30.
- "Besam Yousef vs. Papy Abedi joins UFC on Fuel TV 9 lineup". mmajunkie.com. February 1, 2013.
- Staff (2013-06-19). "Dylan Andrews vs. Papy Abedi added to August's UFC on FOX Sports 1 2 event". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2013-06-19.
- "UFC Profiles removed for Benny Alloway, Papy Abedi, and James Head".
- "Papy Abedi versus Daniel Acacio for Superior Challenge title". mmaviking.com. 2014-03-17.
- "Abedi out of Superior Challenge X, Carlos steps in". mmaviking.com. 2014-04-25.
- "Papy Abedi versus Bruno Carvalho set for SC 13". mmaviking.com. 2016-02-19.