|New Testament manuscript
|Name||P. Oxy. 2683 and 4405|
|Text||Matthew 23 †|
|Now at||Sackler Library|
|Cite||L. Ingrams, P. Kingston, P. Parsons, and J. Rea, OP XXXIV (1968), pp. 4-6.|
|Size||4.6 cm x 7 cm|
Papyrus 77 (in the Gregory-Aland numbering), designated by 77, is an early copy of the New Testament in Greek. It is a papyrus manuscript of the Gospel of Matthew. The surviving texts of Matthew are verses 23:30-39. 77 is written in an elegant hand. The manuscript palaeographically has been assigned a date anywhere from the middle 2nd century to the early 3rd century.
The Greek text of this codex is a representative of the Alexandrian text-type. Aland ascribed it as a “at least normal text”, and placed it in Category I. 77 has the closest affinity with Codex Sinaiticus.
- Present location
- 23:30: Rearranges the words αυτων κοινωνοι (their partners) to κοινωνοι αυτων (partners their).
- 23:37: Has variant spelling ορνιξ for ορνις (hen).
- 23:37: Originally omitted και from the text. Scribe added it later superlinearly between πτερυγας and ουκ.
- 23:38: According to the transcription from the University of Münster Institute for New Testament Textual Research, the scribe omitted ερημος (desolate). According to the transcription of Philip Comfort and David Barrett however, the scribe included it.
- Philip Comfort and David Barrett, Text of the Earliest NT Greek Manuscripts pp 609
- Philip W. Comfort, Encountering the Manuscripts. An Introduction to New Testament Paleography & Textual Criticism, Nashville, Tennessee: Broadman & Holman Publishers, 2005, p. 73.
- Aland, Kurt; Aland, Barbara (1995). The Text of the New Testament: An Introduction to the Critical Editions and to the Theory and Practice of Modern Textual Criticism. Erroll F. Rhodes (trans.). Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans Publishing Company. p. 100. ISBN 978-0-8028-4098-1.
- "Liste Handschriften". Münster: Institute for New Testament Textual Research. Retrieved 27 August 2011.
- Institute for New Testament Textual Research
- Philip Comfort and David Barrett, Text of the Earliest NT Greek Manuscripts, pp. 611
- L. Ingrams, P. Kingston, Peter Parsons, and John Rea, Oxyrhynchus Papyri, XXXIV (London: 1968), pp. 4–6.
- Comfort, Philip W.; David P. Barrett (2001). The Text of the Earliest New Testament Greek Manuscripts. Wheaton, Illinois: Tyndale House Publishers. pp. 609–611. ISBN 978-0-8423-5265-9.