Papyrus Design Group
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Fate||Sold to FIRST.net|
|Omar Khudari (CEO)|
IndyCar Racing series
NASCAR Racing series
Grand Prix Legends
Papyrus Design Group, Inc. was a computer game developer founded in 1987 by David Kaemmer and CEO Omar Khudari. Based in Watertown, Massachusetts, it is best known for its series of realistic sim racing games based on the NASCAR and IndyCar leagues, as well as the unique Grand Prix Legends. Papyrus was acquired by Sierra On-Line in late 1995 and Omar Khudari left Papyrus soon after that. Dave Kaemmer left Papyrus in late 2002, just before the release of NASCAR Racing 2003 Season (NR2003).
On June 5, 2003, NR2003 community modders PWF (Project Wildfire) announced that many of their members would be joining a new group called FIRST.
At the end of the first quarter of 2004, NR2003 was pulled from the shelves due to license expiration. This is when FIRST (later to become iRacing) started its acquisition of the NR2003 code from Vivendi Universal.
The Papyrus web site was shut down on April 5, 2004.
On May 28, 2004 Vivendi and Papyrus sold copyrights to FIRST.net, LLC who became the registered owner of the copyrights for NASCAR Racing 2003 Season and would go on to develop iRacing using its engine.
Games developed by Papyrus
- Indianapolis 500: The Simulation (1989)
- J. R. R. Tolkien's Riders of Rohan (1991) (co-developed with Beam Software)
- IndyCar Racing (1993)
- Nomad (1993)
- NASCAR Racing (1994)
- NASCAR Racing for the Sony PlayStation (1996)
- Links: The Challenge of Golf (1994) (Sega CD version)
- IndyCar Racing II (1995)
- NASCAR Racing 2 (1996)
- Road Rash (1996) (Windows version)
- SODA Off-Road Racing (1997)
- Grand Prix Legends (1998)
- NASCAR Racing 1999 Edition (1999)
- NASCAR Racing 3 (1999)
- NASCAR Legends (1999)
- NASCAR Racing 4 (2001)
- NASCAR Racing 2002 Season (2002)
- NASCAR Racing 2003 Season (2003)
- NASCAR Racing 5 (2003) (scrapped Xbox game)
- iRacing, a racing simulator developed by David Kaemmer
- Sherman, Christopher (February 1996). "Movers & Shakers". Next Generation. No. 14. Imagine Media. p. 25.
- "News Bits". GamePro. No. 90. IDG. March 1996. p. 17.
- "J.R.R. Tolkien's Riders of Rohan for DOS (1991)". MobyGames. Blue Flame Labs. Retrieved 5 October 2015. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)