Para (Vidhan Sabha constituency)
|Vidhan Sabha constituency|
|Type||Reserved for SC|
|Lok Sabha constituency||35. Purulia|
|Electorate (year)||184,034 (2011)|
|West Bengal assembly elections, 2011: Para |
|INC gain from CPI(M)||Swing||19.53#|
.# Swing calculated on Congress+Trinamool Congress vote percentages taken together in 2006. Intervening by-election ignored for comparisons.
|Party||Seats won||Seat change|
|Indian National Congress||2||1|
|Communist Party of India (Marxist)||1||7|
Note: New constituency – 1, constituencies abolished – 3 (See template talk page for details)
Subsequent to the resignation of the sitting MLA, Bilasibala Sahis, after her election to the Zilla Parishad (district council),Minu Bauri of CPI(M) won the Para seat in the 2009 by-elections defeating Charan Bauri of JMM.
In 2006, 2001, 1996 and 1991 Bilasibala Sahis of CPI(M) won the Para assembly seat defeating her nearest rivals Sima Bauri of Trinamool Congress, Mira Bauri of Trinamool Congress, Gobordhan Bagdi of JMM and Durgadas Bauri of Congress respectively. Contests in most years were multi cornered but only winners and runners are being mentioned. Gobinda Bauri of CPI(M) defeated Kashinath Bauri of Congress in 1987, and Sarat Das of Congress in 1982 and 1977.
Sarat Das of Congress won in 1972 and 1971. Tinkori Bouri of Bangla Congress won in 1969. S. Bauri of Bangla Congress won in 1967. Nepal Bauri of Congress won in 1962. The Para seat did not exist in 1957. In independent India’s first election in 1951, the seat was entitled Para cum Chas. The areas now part of Purulia district was then part of Bihar. The joint seat was won by Sarat Mochi of Congress and Deoshankar Prasad Singh, Independent.
- "Delimitation Commission Order No. 18 dated 15 February 2006" (PDF). Government of West Bengal. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Statistical Report on General Elections, 2004 to the 14th Lok Sabha" (PDF). Volume III Details For Assembly Segments Of Parliamentary Constituencies. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-01-28.
- "Para". Assembly Elections May 2011 Results. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-22.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011". Para. Empowering India. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "West Bengal Assembly Election 2011" (PDF). Para. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-05-06.
- "By-elections in three states next month". Two circles. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Landslide for Trinamool in Nandigram". DNA, Daily News A. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "Three women make Assembly debut - Mausam wins, margin more than mom Ruby". The Telegraph, 10 January 2009. Retrieved 2011-01-27.
- "240 - Para (SC) Assembly Constituency". Partywise Comparison Since 1977. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-01-26.
- "Statistical Reports of Assembly Elections". General Election Results and Statistics. Election Commission of India. Retrieved 2011-01-27.