Parachurch organizations are Christian faith-based organizations that work outside and across denominations to engage in social welfare and evangelism. God's mission on the planet is Huge and it takes lots of forms of organisations to accomplish this. Parachurch organisations seek to come alongside the church and specialise in things that individual churches cannot specialise in by themselves. They often cross denominational, National and international boundaries providing much needed specialised services and training.
These bodies can be businesses, non-profit corporations, or private associations. Most parachurch organizations, at least those normally called parachurch, are Protestant or Evangelical. Some of these organizations cater to a defined spectrum among evangelical beliefs, but most are self-consciously interdenominational and many are ecumenical.
Roles and organizations
Parachurch organizations perform a number of roles, including:
- evangelistic crusade associations (patterned after the Billy Graham Association)
- evangelistic and discipleship ministries (such as Youth With a Mission (YWAM), InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, Scripture Union, Campus Crusade for Christ, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, and The Navigators,)
- music and print publishers, radio and television stations, film studios, online ministries
- study centers and institutes, schools, colleges and universities
- political and social activist groups
- welfare and social services, including homeless shelters, child care, and domestic violence, disaster relief programs, and food pantries and clothing closets, and emergency aid centers (such as the City Missions or VISUAL)
- self-help groups
- Bible study groups
- Michael J. Anthony, Introducing Christian Education: Foundations for the Twenty-first Century, Baker Academic, USA, 2001, p. 283
- Candy Gunther Brown, Mark Silk, The Future of Evangelicalism in America, Columbia University Press, USA, 2016, p. 28
- Alvin Reid, Introduction to Evangelism, B&H Publishing Group, USA, 1998, p. 81
- Wesley K. Willmer, J. David Schmidt, Martyn Smith, The Prospering Parachurch: Enlarging the Boundaries of God's Kingdom