Paradise Township, Michigan
|Paradise Township, Michigan|
|• Total||53.0 sq mi (137.1 km2)|
|• Land||52.9 sq mi (137.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,053 ft (321 m)|
|• Density||79.3/sq mi (30.6/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|ZIP code||49649 (Kingsley,
49686 (Traverse City
|GNIS feature ID||1626879|
- The village of Kingsley is within the township. All of the township south of Mayfield is served by the Kingsley ZIP code 49649.
- Mayfield is an unincorporated community within the township several miles north of Kingsley at . A P.O. box-only post office with ZIP code 49666 serves the northwest portion of the township.
- Summit City is an unincorporated community within the township, several miles southeast of Kingsley at 
- Traverse City is to the north and the Traverse City ZIP code, 49686, serves the northeast portion of the township.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 53.0 square miles (137 km2), of which 52.9 square miles (137 km2) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.26 km2) (0.13%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 4,191 people, 1,374 households, and 1,082 families residing in the township. The population density was 79.3 per square mile (30.6/km²). There were 1,481 housing units at an average density of 28.0 per square mile (10.8/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 97.07% White, 0.21% African American, 0.86% Native American, 0.19% Asian, 0.02% Pacific Islander, 0.45% from other races, and 1.19% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.48% of the population.
There were 1,374 households out of which 45.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 62.8% were married couples living together, 11.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.2% were non-families. 15.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 5.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.01 and the average family size was 3.32.
In the township the population was spread out with 33.0% under the age of 18, 8.4% from 18 to 24, 33.1% from 25 to 44, 18.3% from 45 to 64, and 7.2% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 30 years. For every 100 females there were 101.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 98.4 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $44,776, and the median income for a family was $45,652. Males had a median income of $34,804 versus $21,902 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,507. About 4.5% of families and 5.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 6.1% of those under age 18 and 6.1% of those age 65 or over.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Paradise Township, Michigan
- 49649 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Mayfield, Michigan
- 49666 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Summit City, Michigan
- 49686 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder, U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census