Ann Arbor, Michigan |
|Website||http://www.pxsoftware.com/ (archived version 2003-08-05)|
Parallax Software is a video game developer best known for creating the Descent series of video games. Parallax Software was started in 1993 by Matt Toschlog and Mike Kulas. After the release of Descent II in 1997, the company was split to form Volition (Mike Kulas) in Champaign, Illinois, and Outrage Entertainment (Matt Toschlog) in Ann Arbor, Michigan. Both companies were later bought by publisher THQ. In July 2003, Outrage was shut down, but Volition continues to develop video games.
On December 29, 2015, it was revealed in a GOG.com forum post that Parallax Software still exists and owns the copyrights to Descent and Descent II. Due to a royalties dispute with Descent and Descent II's publisher, Interplay, where Parallax is claiming that since 2007 they have not been paid any royalties from the sales of Descent and Descent II, Parallax terminated the 21 year sales agreement with Interplay, so Interplay no longer has the rights to sell Descent and Descent II.
On February 5, 2016 the founders of Parallax Software, Mike Kulas and Matt Toschlog released a press release announcing a new game development studio called Revival Productions. On February 10, 2016 Revival Productions launched a successful Kickstarter campaign for their spiritual sequel to the Descent series named Overload, raising $306,537 by March 11, 2016. The game was released for computer platforms in May 2018.
- Descent + Descent 2
- Descent I and II: The Definitive Collection
- Descent II
- Descent II: Destination Quartzon
- Descent II: The Infinite Abyss
- Descent II: Vertigo Series
- Descent Maximum
- Descent Venture Pack
- Descent: Anniversary Edition
- Descent: Levels of the World
- "THQ Inc. Secures Asset Purchase Agreement with Affiliates of Clearlake Capital Group, L.P." THQ. Retrieved December 19, 2012.
- "THQ declares bankruptcy, will continue publishing duties". PC Gamer. 2012-12-19. Retrieved 2014-01-19.
- Goldfarb, Andrew (23 January 2013). "THQ Dissolved, Saints Row, Company of Heroes Devs Acquired". IGN. Retrieved 23 January 2013.
- "Descent 1+2 & Descent 3 - Removed From Sale, page 10 - Forum - GOG.com". www.gog.com. Retrieved 2015-12-30.
- "OVERLOAD - The Ultimate Six-Degree-of-Freedom Shooter". Kickstarter. Retrieved 2016-06-08.
|This United States video game corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|