Parallels at the Echoplex, Los Angeles CA, 21 Nov 2009
|Labels||The Marigold Label|
Cameron Findlay (2008-2011) |
Joey Kehoe (2008-2010)
Parallels was created by Holly Dodson and Cameron Findlay. Joey Kehoe (otherwise known as Darien シールド) joined to turn the project into a full-fledged band. Through an exchange of emails with Dodson, they wrote their first single "Ultralight". Findlay and Dodson continued to write more material, releasing "Ultralight" as a digital single later that year, and on vinyl on Thisisnotanexit Records in London, UK.
Parallels music has been likened to the work of Giorgio Moroder, New Order and Stevie Nicks. Dodson's vocals have been compared to Kate Bush, and true-blue era Madonna. Now Magazine rated Parallels as critic's pick for "Best Electronic act of 2009", in their "Best of Toronto" issue. Dodson represented Parallels in Flare (magazine)'s 30th anniversary issue as one of the "Hottest names to know in Canadian Music"  The band made their US debut at CMJ Music Marathon in New York City in October 2009.
The band released their second full-length album, entitled "XII", on Marigold Records in the spring of 2012.
Parallels' song "Ultralight" was featured in episode 4, of the second season of The A-List: New York.
After the departure of Findlay and Kehoe, Dodson began writing material for Parallels' second album "XII" at Marigold Studios in Toronto. In 2012, her brother Nick Dodson joined on drums and friend Artem Galperine on synths. "XII" eventually hit #5 on Canada's college radio charts in 2012. The album includes a rendition of "Moonlight Desires" by Canadian artist Lawrence Gowan  Following the release of "XII", Parallels toured North America and was chosen by NXNE as one of the top 15 Alternative bands to perform at the festival. Parallels' song "Dry Blood", from their debut album "Visionaries" was featured on the soundtrack for Curfew (2012 film) directed by Shawn Christensen that won the 2013 Academy Award for Best Live Action Short Film
"Civilization EP" (2014-present)
In 2015, Parallels' "Civilization EP" hit #1 in Canada, on Earshot's "National Electronic Chart". "Civilization EP" includes a cover of "Age Of Consent" by British alternative group New Order. In its review of the EP, Electronic Rumors deemed Parallels "Undoubtedly one of Canada's finest synthpop exports".
- Ultralight EP (2009)
- Visionaries (2010)
- XII (2012)
- "Civilization EP" (2015)
- "Metropolis" (2017)
- Keller, Jason. Now Magazine. http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=167105 February 11–14. Vol 28 no. 14.
- James, Matt. The Music Fix. http://www.themusicfix.co.uk/content/review/6065/parallels-interview.html May 15, 2009
- Lindsay, Cam. Exclaim! Magazine. http://exclaim.ca/articles/generalarticlesynopsfullart.aspx?csid2=804&fid1=36294&csid1=0
- Smith, Owen. Dummy Magazine. "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2009-06-27. Retrieved 2009-12-17. March 3, 2009
- St. Germain, Randy. Fact magazine. http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2530&Itemid=70 May 12, 2009.
- Now Magazine. http://www.nowtoronto.com/music/story.cfm?content=172077 November 4, 2009
- Iannacci, Elio. (2009, September). The Hottest Names to Know in Canadian Music. Flare Magazine. Rogers Communications(publishing). September 2009
- CMJ Music Marathon http://www.cmj.com/marathon
- Chang, Kee. (2012, July). Vital Stats: Parallels. "Anthem Magazine". http://anthemmagazine.com/vital-stats-parallels/ Retrieved 19/11/2015
- Parallels Biography
- Bowlegs Music "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2012-07-22. Retrieved 2012-04-25.
- Beatroute "Canadian Bred Talent Keeps The Glitter Sparkling". http://beatroute.ca/2012/08/01/parallels/. Retrieved 20/11/2015
- Sakamoto, John. "The Anti-Hit List". The Toronto Star. https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2012/03/15/the_antihit_list_for_march_17_gossip_grimes_and_gowan.html
- Fearless Radio "Parallels" http://www.fearlessradio.com/component/k2/itemlist/date/2013/8/23?catid=1&limit=10&start=10. Retrieved 20/11/15
- Nominees for the 85th Academy Awards. http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/85/nominees.html. Retrieved 25/02/2013
- Earshot Online - National Electronic Chart. http://www.earshot-online.com/charts/index.cfm?intChartTypeID=102&dWeekOfID=2015-10-13. Retrieved 19/11/2015
- "Audio: Parallels "Civilisation". Electronic Rumors. http://electronicrumors.com/2015/06/11/audio-parallels-civilisation/. Retrieved 20/11/15