Parambassis is a genus of freshwater fish in the Asiatic glassfish family Ambassidae of order Perciformes. The type species is the Iridescent glassy perchlet. These fishes originate mostly from Southeast Asia, but the species range across the Indomalaya and Australasia ecozones, from Pakistan and India south through Indonesia, New Guinea and Australia. Although primiarly found in fresh water, a few species can also be seen in brackish water. The Parambassis species range in maximum size from 3-24cm, but they are similar in appearance, with a lozenge-shaped form, typical perciform fins, and semitransparent or transparent body. Several of the species are common food fish in local markets, and some (most notably the Indian glassy perchlet) are kept as aquarium fish.
There are currently 18 currently recognized species in this genus:
- Parambassis alleni (N. C. Datta & S. Chaudhuri, 1993)
- Parambassis altipinnis G. R. Allen, 1982 (High-finned glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis apogonoides (Bleeker, 1851) (Iridescent glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis baculis (F. Hamilton, 1822) (Himalayan glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis bistigmata Geetakumari, 2012
- Parambassis confinis (M. C. W. Weber, 1913) (Sepik glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis dayi (Bleeker, 1874) (Day's glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis gulliveri (Castelnau, 1878) (Giant glassfish)
- Parambassis lala (F. Hamilton, 1822) (High-fin glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis macrolepis (Bleeker, 1856)
- Parambassis pulcinella Kottelat, 2003 (Humphead glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis ranga (F. Hamilton, 1822) (Indian glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis serrata Mayanglambam & Vishwanath, 2015 
- Parambassis siamensis (Fowler, 1937) (Indochinese glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis thomassi (F. Day, 1870) (Western Ghats glassy perchlet)
- Parambassis vollmeri T. R. Roberts, 1995
- Parambassis waikhomi Geetakumari & Basudha, 2012 
- Parambassis wolffii (Bleeker, 1850) (Dusky-fin glassy perchlet)
- Froese, Rainer, and Daniel Pauly, eds. (2015). Species of Parambassis in FishBase. October 2015 version.
- Mayanglambam, D. & Vishwanath, W. (2015): Parambassis serrata, a new species of glassperch (Teleostei: Ambassidae) from the Kaladan drainage, India. Zootaxa, 4040 (5): 583–588.
- Geetakumari, K. & Basudha, C. (2012): Parambassis waikhomi, a new species of glassfish (Teleostei: Ambassidae) from Loktak Lake, northeastern India. Journal of Threatened Taxa, 4 (14): 3327–3332.
|This Perciformes article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|