PTC (software company)
|Traded as||NASDAQ: PTC
S&P 400 Component
|Industry||CAD/CAM/CAE/ PLM Software/ ALM/ SLM/ IOT|
|Headquarters||Needham, Massachusetts, United States|
|Robert P. Schechter (Chairman)
James E. Heppelmann (President & CEO)
|Products||PTC Creo, PTC Windchill, PTC Mathcad, PTC Integrity, PTC Servigistics, PTC Arbortext, ThingWorx|
|Revenue||$1.3 billion USD (2015)|
|$41.6 million USD (2015)|
|$48 million USD (2015)|
Number of employees
PTC (formerly Parametric Technology Corporation) is a computer software and services company founded in 1985 and headquartered outside of Boston, Massachusetts. The company developed parametric, associative feature-based, solid computer-aided design (CAD) modeling software in 1988, including an Internet-based product for product lifecycle management (PLM) in 1998. PTC markets products and services and an Internet of things (IoT) and augmented reality (AR) platform for partners and developers.
1985 - Company founded by Samuel Geisberg, formerly from Prime Computer, Computervision, and Applicon.
1988 - Steve Walske named CEO. Company shipped Pro/ENGINEER and was considered first to market with parametric modeling design software. This positions PTC as a leader in the CAD industry until the mid-1990s when a new generation of low-cost competitors arrive in the market.
1989 - Initial public offering.
1992 - Caterpillar Inc. becomes PTC’s largest customer.
1996 - PTC acquires Reflex project modeling and management software technology sold the following year to the Beck Group.
1998 - Company ships Windchill and is considered first to market with internet-based solutions for Product Lifecycle Management (PLM).
1999 - PTC announces it has 25,000 customers. Major industries include aerospace, retail/footwear/apparel, automotive, industrial equipment, consumer products, electronics, and high tech.
1999 - Acquired Division Group (Division Ltd, Bristol Uk, Division Inc) Virtual reality - dVision Head Mounted Display & Software
2002 - The company releases Pro/ENGINEER Wildfire. This is the first CAD system to support web-based services.
2005 - Acquired Arbortext for technical publishing technology. Acquired Aptavis for retail, footwear and apparel technology.
2006 - Acquired Mathsoft for its engineering calculation software. Acquired ITEDO for its 3D technical illustration software.
2007 - Acquired CoCreate for its direct modeling technology.
2008 - Acquired Synapsis for its performance analytics technology to improve environmental performance of products.
2009 - Acquired Relex Software for its reliability engineering software.
2010 - James E. Heppelmann announced as CEO effective October 1, 2010. Company renames Pro/ENGINEER to PTC Creo and promises the market product design software that is scalable, open, and easy-to-use.
2011 - Acquired 4CS for its warranty, service, support and service parts technology. Acquired MKS for its application lifecycle management technology for all software development processes.
2012 - Acquired Servigistics for its suite of service lifecycle management software.
2013 - Acquired NetIDEAS hosting vendor for more technology deployment options. Acquired Enigma for its ability to deliver technical content to aftermarket service environments. Acquired Internet of Things platform developer ThingWorx for their software applications that connect and track network-enabled products.
2013 - Acquired ThingWorx, the Exton, Pennsylvania-based creators of an award-winning platform for building and running applications for the Internet of Things (IoT).
2014 - Acquired Axeda Corporation
2014 - Acquired ATEGO Software, a leader in MBSE (model-based systems engineering) tool used in aerospace, transportation, and automotive industries (such as Alstom Transport and Rolls-Royce Defence)
2015 - Acquired the Vuforia business from Qualcomm Connected Experiences, Inc., a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated. The Vuforia platform is an augmented reality (AR) technology platform.
2015 - Acquired Kepware, a software development company that provides communications connectivity to industrial automation environments.
Companies acquired by PTC
- Prime Computer in 1992.
- CDRS and 3DPaint from Evans & Sutherland on April 12, 1995 for $33,507,000.
- Rasna Corp., developers of MECHANICA design optimization and simulation software, in May 1995 for $180 million.
- PTC acquires Reflex project modeling and management software technology in July 1996, for $30m.
- Computervision, developers of CADDS, MEDUSA and the MPDS Plant Design System in 1998
- Division Group (Division Ltd, Division Inc) dVisor Virtual Reality HMD
- Polyplan, Technologies acquired 2005 for Manufacturing Process Management
- Arbortext in 2005, for $190 million
- DENC AG and Cadtrain Inc. in late 2005 for an aggregate of $10 million. DENC adds a German consulting practice with expertise integrating PTC applications with enterprise-resource-planning software. Irvine, Calif.-based Cadtrain provides online training modules for PTC software.
- Aptavis Technology Corp, Windchill-based technology and expertise for retail, footwear and apparel, in June 2005
- Mathsoft, developers of Mathcad, in April 2006 for $63 million.
- ITEDO Software GmbH in October 2006 for $17 million. ITEDO developed technical illustration software and had 34 employees mainly in Germany and the United States.
- NC Graphics in May 2007 for an undisclosed sum.
- NetRegulus, Inc,an Enterprise Study and Quality management software for Medical Devices, in November 2007
- CoCreate in December 2007 for $250 million.
- Synapsis Technology in December 2008 for an undisclosed sum.
- Relex Software in June 2009 for $25 Million.
- Planet Metrics in January 2010 for an undisclosed sum.
- MKS Software makers of MKS Integrity - May, 2011
- 4CS Software Solutions Inc, a developer of warranty management and service lifecycle management software for an undisclosed sum
- Servigistics in August 2012
- Enigma in July 2013/
- NetIDEAS in September 2013
- ThingWorx in January 2014
- Atego (company), a developer of model-based systems and software engineering applications based in Cheltenham, UK for approximately $50 million in cash in July 2014
- Axeda Corporation - a leader in the M2M / IoT space connecting things with people and other things, based in Foxborough, MA for approximately $170 million in cash in August 2014
- Coldlight in 2015
- Vuforia in 2015
- Kepware in 2015 for approximately $100 million, plus up to an additional $18 million based on achievement of certain strategic initiatives and financial results.
- Plugin76 R&D in 2017
PTC has six core product families: Creo, Windchill, Mathcad, Integrity, Servigistics, and ThingWorx. The Company's technology is primarily used by discrete manufacturers to design, operate and maintain complex products. PTC's technology is also used to connect products to the Internet for purposes of capturing and analyzing information from them.
The PTC CAD product provides a set of Computer Aided Design capabilities. PTC CAD is a suite of 2D and 3D product design software used to create, analyze and view product designs. PTC Creo software was released in June 2011 to replace and supersede PTC’s products formerly known as Pro/ENGINEER, CoCreate, and ProductView. Other products include:
- CREO parametric - formerly Pro/ENGINEER
- CREO simulate - formerly Pro/MECHANICA
- CREO direct - formerly CoCreate OneSpace Modeling
- CREO options modeler
- CREO illustrate schematics
- CREO view
- CREO illustrate
Engineering calculation software that is used by engineers to solve, document and share the calculations used for product design.
Web-based database software that provides access to product information like MCAD and ECAD data files, process documents, and software engineering information. The PTC Windchill product provides a set of PLM Product Lifecycle Management capabilities and consists of the following products:
- Windchill PDMLink
- Windchill product analytics - formerly Materials Compliance
- Windchill quality solutions - formerly Relex and NetRegulus
- Windchill workgroup manager
- Windchill projectlink
- Windchill part classification
- PTC FlexPLM
- PTC Integrity Asset Library
- PTC Integrity Lifecycle Manager - formerly MKS Integrity
- PTC Integrity Modeler - formerly Atego Modeler
- PTC Integrity Process Check
- PTC Integrity Process Consumer
- PTC Integrity Process Director
- PTC Integrity Process Perspective
- PTC Integrity Requirements Connector
- PTC AgileWorx
Service lifecycle management SLM software that is used by manufacturers to understand how service planning, customer service, and analysis of returned product data can improve service value over a product’s life. PTC SLM productset includes:
- Servigistics Inservice - formerly Enigma
- Servigistics Arbortext - formerly Arbortext without Servigistics
- Servigistics Connected Field Services
- Servigistics Predictive Service
- Servigistics Remote Services
- Servigistics Parts Pricing
- Servigistics Arbortext Editor
- Servigistics Arbortext Isodraw
- Servigistics Arbortext Isoview
- Servigistics Service Network Management
- Servigistics Service Parts Management
Kepware software, primarily KEPServerEX, is a connectivity platform for a diverse set of industrial automation endpoints. The software enables users to connect, manage, monitor, and control heterogeneous devices in the Industrial Internet of Things.
Support of STEM education
In 1999, PTC created a Global Academic Program designed to support educational initiatives in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) skills. The program aims to partner schools and universities with companies to assist students in developing real-world skills needed for careers in manufacturing, technology, and other STEM jobs. The program also has a direct recruitment program intended to place students in jobs with PTC’s commercial customers.
PTC has also been a corporate sponsor of FIRST (For Inspiration and Recognition of Science and Technology) since 2008, providing participating students with access to PTC software for use in the FIRST Tech Challenge, FIRST Robotics Competition, FIRST Lego League, and FIRST World Championship.
Awards and accolades
- "2015 Annual Report Inc" (PDF).
- "Parametric Technology Corp". IndustryWeek. Archived from the original on 2 February 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Forbes Profile: Steve Walske". Forbes. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "CAD software - history of CAD CAM". CADAZZ. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Weisberg, David E. (2008). The Engineering Design Revolution: The People, Companies and Computer Systems That Changed Forever the Practice of Engineering (PDF).
- "Parametric Technology Corporation (PMTC)". Investor Village. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Parametric Technology Corporation acquires object-oriented software technology for project modeling and management PTC news release dated 11 July 1996 (archived at FreeLibrary.com). Retrieved: 17 October 2015.
- "Parametric Technology Reports Fiscal 1999 Second Quarter Results". Archived from the original on 1 February 2014. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "PTC History and Acquisitions". PTC: Product & Service Advantage. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Hargreaves, Martin. "Virtual Reality: 1993 and 2013 Comparison between 1993 Division dVisor and 3D Mouse vs 2013 Oculus Rift and Razer Hydra". medium.com. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "PTC Announces Intent To Acquire Division Group plc More information about Division Group plc can be found at www.Division.com". wayback machine. Archived from the original on June 28, 2015. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Division Inc......+1.650.312.8200......www.division.com......firstname.lastname@example.org Division Ltd......+44.1454.615554......www.division.co.uk......email@example.com,". wayback machine. Archived from the original on February 3, 1998. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "PTC's Pro/ENGINEER(R) Wildfire(TM) Delivers Industry's Best Platform For Product Development". Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "PTC Forays Into Publishing". Cadalyst. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "PTC Buys Aptavis, Grows PLM For Retail, Apparel Firms". Aroq Ltd. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "Mathsoft Buy Will Enhance PTC's Analytical Capabilities". Gartner. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Ferris, Sara. "PTC Acquires ITEDO, IsoDraw Products". Cadalyst. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Rowe, Jeff. "PTC Completes CoCreate Acquisition". MCADCafe. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Halpern, Marc. "PTC's Acquisition of Synapsis Accelerates Green PLM Trend". Gartner. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Shelley, Tom. "Acquisition boosts design reliability". Eureka Magazine. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- "James Heppelmann assumes Role of CEO at PTC". CXO Today. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Hand, Randall. "PTC Renames Pro/ENGINEER to Creo Design Software". VizWorld. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Brown, Rodney. "PTC picks up warranty and service software firm 4CS". Boston Journal. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Wong, Kenneth. "PTC Buys MKS, Adds System and Software Management to PLM". Desktop Engineering. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Barkai, Joe. "PTC Acquires Servigistics -- Strengthens Position in Service Lifecycle Management". IDC. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Resende, Patricia. "Post restructuring, PTC buys longtime partner NetIDEAS". Boston Journal. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Reidy, Chris. "PTC buys Enigma to enhance its service lifecycle management portfolio". Boston Globe. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Ogewell, Verdi. "Why PTC acquired ThingWorx". Engineering.com. Retrieved 21 January 2014.
- Collinsworth, Troy. "PTC acquires Axeda". PTC. Archived from the original on 2014-07-29. Retrieved August 2014. Check date values in:
- Collinsworth, Troy. "PTC acquires ATEGO". PTC. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- "Parametric Technology Corp - 10-K - for fiscal year 1995". getfilings.
- "Parametric Technology Corp - 8-K - For 5/30/95 - EX-99.1". SEC Info. 1995-05-30. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "PTC History and Acquisitions". Ptc.com. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-11-20. Retrieved 2007-11-13.
- http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2006/02/27/daily16.html. Retrieved 2010-08-14. Missing or empty
- "PTC Strengthens Commitment To Retail, Footwear And Apparel Industry". Archived from the original on 2011-10-15.
- "PTC Buys Mathsoft, Part II - WorldCAD Access". Worldcadaccess.typepad.com. 2006-04-28. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
-  Archived November 15, 2006, at the Wayback Machine.
- "PTC Acquires, RenamesNC Graphics - WorldCAD Access". Worldcadaccess.typepad.com. 2007-05-16. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- http://www.ptc.com/WCMS/files/62812/en/NetRegulus_Customer_PTC_Notification_final.pdf[permanent dead link]
- "CoCreate Customer Information". PTC.com. 2007-12-03. Archived from the original on 2010-03-16. Retrieved 2010-08-14.
- "PTC Advances Green Product Design And Environmental Regulatory Compliance Solution With Acquisition Of Synapsis Technology". PTC.com. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2009-06-08.
- "Parametric Technology acquires Relex Software". TradingMarkets.com. 2009-06-08. Retrieved 2010-08-14.[permanent dead link]
- "PTC Extends InSight Product Analytics Solution With Environmental Impact Analysis Technology". PTC.com. 2010-02-08. Retrieved 2010-02-08.[dead link]
- "PTC Sets New Standard for Managing Hardware and Software Development Lifecycles with MKS Integrity Acquisition". yahoo.com. 2011-05-31. Retrieved 2011-07-13.
- Bloomberg : PTC Inc.
- "PTC Creo". http://www.ptc.com/product/creo. External link in
- "PTC Mathcad". http://www.ptc.com/product/mathcad. External link in
- "PTC Windchill". http://www.ptc.com/product/windchill. External link in
- "PTC Integrity". PTC, Inc.
- "PTC Servigistics". http://www.ptc.com/product/servigistics. External link in
- "PTC Arbortext". http://www.ptc.com/product/arbortext. External link in
- "ThingWorx". http://www.ptc.com/product/thingworx. External link in
- PTC Acquires Axeda
- About Axeda
- "STEM Directory: James Heppelmann - PTC". STEM Connector. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Wong, Kenneth. "13-Year-Old FRC CADder Luke Dreams of a Personal Robotic Butler". Desktop Engineering. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Postcapes 2014/2015 Internet of Things AWARDS Postcapes
- PTC, ThingWorx, Axeda Win 2014 Internet of Things (IoT) Awards in Six Different Categories M2M WorldNews