|Division of Paramount Pictures|
|Predecessor||Paramount Cartoon Studios (formerly known as Famous Studios)
|Headquarters||Los Angeles, California, United States|
(Senior Vice President, Production)
In July 2011, in the wake of critical and box office success of their animated feature, Rango and the departure of DreamWorks Animation upon completion of their distribution contract in 2012, Paramount announced the formation of a new division, devoted to the creation of animated productions. It marks Paramount's return to having its own animated division for the first time since 1967, when Paramount Cartoon Studios shut down (it was formerly Famous Studios until 1956).
In October 2011, Paramount named a former president of Walt Disney Feature Animation, David Stainton, president of Paramount Animation. In February 2012, Stainton resigned for personal reasons, with Paramount Film Group's president, Adam Goodman, stepping in to directly oversee the studio. It was also announced that The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, a sequel to 2004's The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie and based upon the popular Nickelodeon TV show, SpongeBob SquarePants, is the studio's first film and was released on February 6, 2015.
In August 2012, in the same month that DreamWorks Animation confirmed that it will be working with 20th Century Fox as distributor beginning in 2013, Variety reported that Paramount Animation was in the process of starting development of several animated movies with budgets of around US$100 million. According to Variety, the intellectual property for these films is to be supplied by Nickelodeon among others and is to include Dora the Explorer, The Legend of Korra and Monkey Quest.
|1||The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water||February 6, 2015||$74 million||$303.6 million||78%||63|
|Monster Trucks||March 18, 2016|
|Untitled film with Ilion Animation Studios||Late 2016|
Films in development
|The New Kid|
|Giant Monsters Attack Japan|
|Untitled third SpongeBob film|
- Finke, Nikki (July 6, 2011). "Paramount Expects DreamWorks Toon Exit; Studio Starts Paramount Animation Unit; Jeff Katzenberg Zeroing In Time Warner". Deadline. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- Szalai, Georg; Miller, Daniel (February 28, 2012). "Paramount to Release 'SpongeBob' Movie in Late 2014". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 5, 2012.
- L. Weinstein, Joshua (October 10, 2011). "Paramount Names David Stainton Animation President". The Wrap. Retrieved October 10, 2011.
- Fleming, Mike (February 22, 2012). "Paramount President Of Animation David Stainton Resigns". Deadline. Retrieved February 22, 2012.
- Finke, Nikki (August 20, 2012). "EXCLUSIVE: DreamWorks Animation To Fox For New 5-Year Distribution Deal; Paying Fees Of 8% Theatrical And 6% Digital". Deadline.com. Retrieved August 20, 2012.
- Graser, Marc; Kroll, Justin (17 August 2012). "Paramount ramping up animation slate". Variety. Retrieved 17 August 2012.
- "The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Finke, Nikki (July 31, 2013). "Paramount Animation Plans ‘Monster Trucks’ Live Action-Toon Franchise: In Final Talks With Blue Sky’s Chris Wedge To Direct". Deadline. Retrieved August 1, 2013.
- "TOLDJA! Paramount Sets Date For ‘Monster Trucks’ & ‘SpongeBob’ Movies". Deadline. August 1, 2013. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- Hopewell, John. "Annecy: Paramount Animation, Spain’s Ilion Ally on 3D Tentpole (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 15 June 2015.
- Kit, Borys (June 6, 2011). "Paramount Plots Next Animated Pic with Alien Comic Adaptation 'New Kid' (Exclusive)". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- McNary, Dave (January 22, 2014). "Paramount Animation Taps ‘Paperman’s’ John Kahrs to Direct ‘Shedd’ (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved January 22, 2014.
- Wolfe, Jennifer (26 January 2015). "Warner Bros. Planning ‘Jetsons’ Feature". Animation World Network (Animation World Network, Inc.). Retrieved 26 January 2015.
- Viacom (April 30, 2015). "“@ParamountPics is in development on sequels to existing franchises: @WorldWarZMovie, @JackReacher & @SpongeBobMovie” - TD". Twitter. Retrieved June 5, 2015.
- Paramount Animation at the Internet Movie Database
- Paramount Pictures Feature Films at the Big Cartoon DataBase