|This article does not cite any references (sources). (July 2007)|
Paranormal romance novels
Paranormal romance is a literary subgenre of the romance novel. A type of speculative fiction, paranormal romance focuses on romance and included elements beyond the range of scientific explanation, blending together themes from the genres of traditional fantasy, science fiction, or horror. Paranormal romance may range from traditional category romances, such as those published by Harlequin Mills & Boon, with a paranormal setting to stories where the main emphasis is on a science fiction or fantasy based plot with a romantic subplot included. Common hallmarks are romantic relationships between humans and vampires, shapeshifters, or fantastical beings (the Fae, Elves, etc.). Novels of the genre include the Dark Guardian series by Rachel Hawthorne and The Ghost and The Goth by Stacey Kade.
Beyond the more prevalent themes involving vampires, shapeshifters, ghosts, or time travel, paranormal romances can also include books featuring reincarnation or characters with psychic abilities, like telekinesis or telepathy.
Paranormal romance has its roots in Gothic fiction. Its most recent revival has been spurred by turn of the century technology, e.g. the internet and electronic publishing. Paranormal romances are one of the fastest growing trends in the romance genre.
- The X-Files, a suspense drama television series in which characters investigate various paranormal phenomena.
- So Weird, a Disney adventure drama television show about an unorthodox American family and its experiences with paranormal phenomena, starring Mackenzie Phillips, Cara Delizia and Alexz Johnson.
- Supernatural, a television drama in which characters battle paranormal forces.
- Ghost Whisperer
- The River (U.S. TV series), a new television drama in which characters searching for a missing person in the Amazon find a paranormal being threatening their lives.
- The Exorcist, a 1973 horror film.
- Poltergeist, a 1982 horror film.
- The Entity, a 1982 suspense film about a single mother repeatedly raped by a spirit.
- Ghostbusters, a 1984 adventure comedy film about three unemployed parapsychology professors who set up shop as a unique ghost-removal service.
- Ghostbusters II, a 1989 sequel to the first movie.
- Paranormal Activity, a 2007 horror film.