Paredes de Nava
|This article does not cite any sources. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Paredes de Nava|
Church of St. Martin
|Autonomous community||Castile and León|
|Comarca||Tierra de Campos|
|• Mayor||Luis Calderón Nájera (PP)|
|• Total||129 km2 (50 sq mi)|
|Elevation||775 m (2,543 ft)|
|• Density||16/km2 (42/sq mi)|
|Time zone||CET (UTC+1)|
|• Summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
It is the birthplace of Renaissance painter Pedro Berruguete. Some paintings by him can be seen in the predella of the local church of Santa Eulalia. Other sights include the church of St. Martin (15th century, renovated in the 18th century).
- San Sebastián. (January 20)
- Virgen de Carejas. (September 8)
- Fiestas del Señor o Benditos Novillos (Sunday, Monday and Tuesday after September 8)
Artistic and civil heritage
Santa Eulalia´s church
The church of Santa Eulalia was built throughout the 12th and 16th centuries, and was declared National Monument in 1962. On September 13 of 1964, the first parochial museum of sacred art founded in Spain was inaugurated, and nowadays there are two activities: religious celebrations and the exhibition of sacred art.
Church of San Martín
It was built in the 15th century, but extensively renovated in the 17th century. At present it hosts the Interpretation Center of Tierra de Campos and the tourism office of Paredes de Nava.
- Jorge Manrique – Poet, writer of the “Coplas a la muerte de su padre” (1440 – 1479) .
- Pedro Berruguete – Painter (1450 – 1504) .
- Alonso Berruguete – Painter, sculptor and architect (1488 – 1561).
- Felipe Berrojo - Architect, sculptor and plasterer (1628-1694).
- Gregoria Matorras – Mother of José de San Martín, military rioplatense (1738 – 1813).
- Tomás Teresa León - Priest and official writer of Paredes de Nava (1924 - 1962).
- Plaisance, France
|This article about a location in the province of Palencia, Spain is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|